Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB/Parallel interface and Parallel DAC

Default USB/Parallel interface and Parallel DAC

If you use one of the usb-parallel interfaces with a parallel port dac will you still have the timing issues?

Ji

I've never spoken with anyone that has even tried to use a USB-to-parallel adapter with a parallel DAC, much less actually gotten it to function correctly.

Assuming you *could* get it to work (and that is a BIG assumption), then you should not experience the timing problems. The timing issues are with the PC's parallel *port* itself, so using the USB port will eliminate these problems.

HOWEVER, I don't know how you're going to get the software to talk to a parallel DAC through the USB-to-parallel adapter. All the software I've seen uses separate drivers that are specific to individual USB DAC's; I doubt very much that they would work with a parallel DAC connected to an adapter. (Though I see no harm in trying it just to see what it will do...)

I guess you would need to write your own custom driver that would take the adapter into account, but I woulnd't know where to begin there...

Adam

When you plug a USB to Parallel adapter into your computer, your computer thinks that it has another parallel port. So, the computer would read and write to the USB device just as if it were a parallel port. So, you would be able to use something like Popelscan it would not be able to tell the USB parallel port from a parallel port hanging off the motherboard. No custom driver required.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo
    I've never spoken with anyone that has even tried to use a USB-to-parallel adapter with a parallel DAC, much less actually gotten it to function correctly.

Assuming you *could* get it to work (and that is a BIG assumption), then you should not experience the timing problems. The timing issues are with the PC's parallel *port* itself, so using the USB port will eliminate these problems.

HOWEVER, I don't know how you're going to get the software to talk to a parallel DAC through the USB-to-parallel adapter. All the software I've seen uses separate drivers that are specific to individual USB DAC's; I doubt very much that they would work with a parallel DAC connected to an adapter. (Though I see no harm in trying it just to see what it will do...)

I guess you would need to write your own custom driver that would take the adapter into account, but I woulnd't know where to begin there...

Adam
    I tried it with Alphalite and could not get it to work.
    "Gravity its not just a good idea its the law"

Quote Originally Posted by Astroguy
    I tried it with Alphalite and could not get it to work.
    That's a shame, though not unexpected I suppose.

well i have just ordered my Parallel to usb cable and i have a parallel DAC so ill let you know how i go.

my usb to parallel comes with software to tell the computer that anything looking for a parallel port to go to the USB port.

but we will see
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Let us know if you can get it to work!

Adam

Oh No they can't work. They work on a different mode. They need to be ECP instead of EPP (or is it the other way around?) Anyhow you can't get a ttl signal out of them. So things like Relay boards and EPROM programmers don't work. Plus same as USB serial converters they are under powered. I'd be glad if I'm wrong though

Muller told me to NOT mix USB and LPT in Mamba :roll:

great, so ive gota spend lots of money on a easylase
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat