Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help identifying components?

Default Need help identifying components?

I recently acquired some laser components and need some help identifying what I have. I intend to sell it, but would like to know what I have first.

First I should say that I do not have the laser itself. I do know that I have some General Scanning G138DT galvos (eight, I believe, mounted in pairs in X-Y axis mounts), a NEOS AOTF, a Turbo Track T2 amp. a Newport breadboard (about 2' x 5' x 2"), and various mirror mounts (mostly MM1 Newport).

My real questions are:

How to identify mirror types and what wavelength they are suitable for?

Anyway to test the galvos and AOTF?

What are the other components? (Obviously this requires seeing the pics)

I can send pics via email. I don't have them online where I can link to them.

Thanks-
    Tony P.

Send the pics to me at gmail and I'll post them in this thread for you...
    Your descriptions of them are pretty dead on... I can visualize each part
    What kind of information are you looking for?

kenson@gmail.com

p.s. for the galvos... first be careful with the GS type as there is a fragile torsion bar...

To test, power them on as required on the amp... make sure the mirrors center, then
    use a 1.5V AA and see if they deflect either way when you flip it... The turbotrack
    amps are definitely the nicest for that era...

You're not going to be able to test the AOTF without a polarized laser...

Am interessted in thoose mirror mounts, but have no clues what they are worth?

I might be interested in the breadboard. Are the screws tapped? I'll take the pics at my screen name at gmail...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

The breadboard is tapped, 1/4"-20, I believe.

cruch-

Which mounts exactly?

Hopefully, yaddatrance can post the pics. I do have many more. In one of the pics there is a black housing with two x-y scanners in it. I have not opened it, so I do not know yet what else may be in there. I hope to get into it soon and detail everything I have.

Unless someone wants to offer me too much money for all of it....

:lol:

(plus shipping, of course!)

I sent emails to everyone so far, if you don't receive them, let me know.

Here is the pictures

Thanks Cruch!

Wow, that nice... and dusty... :lol: I didn't get an email... :cry:

From what I can tell from those photos, the mirrors look like aluminized front surface and they are for visible lasers. It is possible that they are dielectric (for higher power handling), but there's no way to tell from a grainy photo

From what I can see of the model number, That AOTF is a 62Mhz 2.5mm aperture unit whose range is centered around 550nm (green)... AKA PCAOM 0.3 degree acceptance angle, 92% efficiency, horizontal polarization... Your unit is 5W max

Let me know if you need any specific part identified, everything looks very nice and done by the book...

Edit: Ah! I think I know what you meant by mirror type... I see at least one mirror on the MM1 that look like a dichro... The easiest way to identify the frequency is to just shine a flashlight through them and see what comes out... Most dichros have a specific angle they work best at so wiggle the light around if it seems to transmit too much.

The NEOS is on a nice bragg mount.

Hey-

I'd like to thank you guys for your help. I haven't been able to get to the stuff since I last posted, so I don't have any new pics or info. Hopefully soon, though.

Since yaddatrance says the Turbotrack 2 is 'the nicest for that era', I have to ask, what demand is there for one of them now? I have only the unit in the photo, is there anything else needed for some one to use it? Besides a laser! Is it effectively standalone, or do you need some specific software that comes with it to load into your pc?

Given the prices I have found for the AOTF, do you think it would be worth it to send the AOTF back to NEOS for testing/refurbishing?

The equipment was used in a fixed display, so it wasn't moved around alot.