Thread: Laser Safety Question

Default Laser Safety Question

This question has to do with galvo laser scanners. When the scanner is producing beams I can stand off to the side and see the mirrors and they are glowing very brightly from the laser, of course. However, since I am to the side I am not in the path of the laser beam. However, like I said the mirrors are still VERY bright. Will looking at the mirrors cause eye damage in this case? If so, what can be done to prevent being able to see the mirrors? I suppose I could shine the scanners over a wall and have the wall seperate the audience (me) from being able to actually see the mirrors.

I doubt it can cause damage to your eyes just by looking a little diffusion, unless you have a multi-watt laser and/or looking too much near of the mirrors...
    If you have a case at your laser projector normally you can't see mirrors by side, only through the output window.
    Anyway, try to clean your mirrors (by the proper way). Normally they aren't supposed to diffuse laser light as much as you say, so I suppose they are dirty.

Another easy thing you can do if you have beams hitting the edges of the mirrors (witch in an ideal world you shouldn't) use a sharpie marker and very carefully black the edges of the mirror. do not get it on the mirror surface. It also makes it a little harder to clesn because you have to be carefull not to pick up the black when swabbing..

Chad