Thread: BEYOND main size / position question

Default BEYOND main size / position question

In BEYOND after setting the main size / position some cues (especially hotbeams) go outside the size and position I've set. There is supposed to be a way to keep all beams within the main size and position area set, but I can't find it. Supposedly it's in the Advanced settings....

Hot beams are exempt to main zone size changes for safety reasons so as not to allow their BAM's to be moved.

Settings > Projection Zones > Hot Beams > Advanced > Remove the "X" from the box that says "Prevent the master size and position from affecting the size and position of this zone"

You should then be sorted.

I think that did it! Thanks

I was reading that as the X needed to be in the box, not no X.

Gene

Glad you got it sorted.

It's a bit counter-intuitive on safety tbh.

The idea is you can't move the Hot Beam BAM's when repositioning. On the other hand, like you said, its easy to get caught out if you don't have knowledge of the fact that it doesn't resize everything. I master resized a show to 50% and was watching a show stood up from outside of the beams the other week before I knew of this thinking I was in a safe position outside of the scan area. Hot beams came on and suddenly I had hot beams scanning across my neck - way to close for comfort! Luckily it was a pattern with no Y deviation. So closed eyes a quick turn away and a move to a safe area sorted it but it was far too close for comfort. Shows how easy it is to get caught out though when you're unaware of a little hidden detail. Never thought to use a BAM as I was seemingly outside of the maximum scan width. Lesson learnt! Don't rely on X Y size parameters to provide a safe area because what is outside of the maximum scan width one moment could fall within it another due to zoning settings.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    It's a bit counter-intuitive on safety tbh.
    My thoughts exactly. IMO there should be something in the main Size / Position that tells / shows you what zones might project outside of the main area. I'm not a fan of surprises during shows.

I unchecked ALL boxes and reset all items. I think I'm good to go now. Thanks.

It's a bit counter-intuitive on safety tbh
    I don't think it is.

The master size isn't really designed for show setup, it's more for setting the maximum safe angle for your scanners when projecting a scanned pattern.
    The zones are for defining the boundaries of your show.
    If you aren't checking/setting all of the zones you are projecting into before show time, you aren't doing your show setup correctly/safely (imho).

It's like saying you pulled the trigger on the gun, but didn't think to look where it was pointing first.

I suppose Pangolin could design a failsafe that meant you couldn't project until you'd visited any zone with the option checked, but that would be a bind for most people I would imagine.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I don't think it is.

The master size isn't really designed for show setup, it's more for setting the maximum safe angle for your scanners when projecting a scanned pattern.
    The zones are for defining the boundaries of your show.
    If you aren't checking/setting all of the zones you are projecting into before show time, you aren't doing your show setup correctly/safely (imho).

It's like saying you pulled the trigger on the gun, but didn't think to look where it was pointing first.

I suppose Pangolin could design a failsafe that meant you couldn't project until you'd visited any zone with the option checked, but that would be a bind for most people I would imagine.
    Isn't this just the same as Copy these settings to all other zones in LD2000? And why would you ever want beams outside of the Master size / position area? Personally I want to set the size and position and know nothing is going any other place. The only exception I can think of would be for bounce mirrors.

This brings up another question. In this thread it says LD2000 settings effect BEYOND. I know the pallet for BEYOND is setup in LD2000, but do the zone settings in LD2000 have any effect on BEYOND's zones?