Thread: Home made hazer

Default Home made hazer

Has anyone tried making this? I think I might give it a try but am wondering what kind of mineral oil to use.

http://www.laserfx.com/Backstage.Las...obbyHaze2.html

Why not buy one of these and base your hazer around that.

All that is needed in addition is the pump(which they also sell) a fan, a housing and either a simple timer or even use it manually.

Jim

Interesting... but I am not sure about that thing. I already have a fog machine but I want a hazer. I can get the heater part from an old coffee pot cheaper than buying that from UK. I appreciate the link, though.

HI, not trying to be a stick in the mud but I would recomend against doing this. There is a verry fine line with heated oil between making a haze and a flame thrower. I have personally seen a MDG heat based oil hazer (one of the best on the market) turn into a flame thrower and set some stage curtains on fire.

If I were you guys I would do some digging on cracker type hazers. like :

http://www.reelefx.com/products/df50.htm

I have used these for years and they are simple units work very well and are an industry standard in concert and club use.

They basically have a tub with oil in it and a compressor. They force air through VERY small holes under the oil this "cracks" the oil making very fine droplets. they then have a course open cell foam for a filter to grab some of the bigger particles and a fan to push it out into a room. I have made my own in the past using a 5 gallon paint bucket with a hole in the lid and it worked very well. The key is small holes on the sprayer. Oh yea use the thinest mineral oil you can find.

Chad

While I do recommend a professional unit for the sheer painlessness of it (except
    on the pocketbook) Every time I tear it apart for cleaning I marvel at the simplicty of
    the design. I'd say that if you feel comfortable tearing into a water cooled laser,
    then the dangers of a DIY hazer would be roughly on par so go for it... Just keep
    any oil based crackers away from pyro guys...

Now this is completely out of the realm of what I'm familiar with and is a completely
    off the wall, half-baked idea, but thing that I've always had stewing in the back of my
    head is the thought of using one of those Holmes "ultrasonic humidifier" type boxes
    and throwing the element in a vat of oil based hazer fluid.... I'd suspect it'd work a bit,
    but the real trick would be tuning the frequency to make the particles as small
    as possible.

I can't resist trying this out since I only need to spend about $40 for the entire thing. I'll be sure to test it outdoors to make sure it doesn't shoot flames or explode. And if it does, maybe I can sell some to the military.