Thread: Source for Cheap Mirror Mounts/Holders/Posts?

Default Source for Cheap Mirror Mounts/Holders/Posts?

I got my DPSS 532nm green laser and ready to have some fun, but have run into a $$ purchasing snag.

I've already read Sam's Laser FAQs (http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserfaq.htm#faqtoc) and checked all the source sites he recommends, yet I'm still having a problem finding a source for inexpensive mirror mounts that I can use to mount lenses, prisms and mirrors on a breadboard.

I've ordered some very inexpensive surplus 44mmx36mm front-surface mirrors from SurplusShed.com, but they don't have mounting hardward. It seems that even the "used/surplus" vendors of optical-research-quality posts, post holders, kinematic mirror mounts must think that military-acquisition prices (e.g. $600 toilet seat) are appropriate.

I know that I can build some holders/mounts myself, but they won't look as neat as the stainless steel and anodized aluminum lab hardware.

Anyone know of any cheap Chinese-made knock-offs or a good surplus store?

The operative word being: cheap, inexpensive, not a lotta cash.
    ThorLabs, Melles Griot (even in used condition), Newport, Anchor Optics, and even Creative Stars products do not fit this definition.

Hi Dogleg! Welcome to Photonlexicon!

Yeah, optical mounts are expensive. There's really no such thing as "cheap" mounts, though there are "cheaper" solutions. (Nothing in this hobby is every really "cheap"!)

I managed to snag some MM2 mounts on E-bay a while back for about $25 a piece, but I bought the whole lot of 12 mounts. (I split the lot up with another user here.) If you cruise E-bay regularly, you'll find mounts from time to time, and every once in a great while you might get lucky and get them for about the same price that I paid.

However, if you are handy with metalworking tools, you might want to try making your own out of some aluminum stock. The hard part will be tapping the holes for the adjustment screws, and it's doubtfull that you'll be able to re-create the super-fine pitch threads that Newport mounts use, but it's a start! (Some members here have even resorted to using wood to make their mounts... It's easy to work with, but of course it isn't as stable over the long term like metal is.)

Another place that sometimes has good prices is Meridith Instruments. Every now and again they'll get optical mounts, so check back from time to time. Same thing goes for CTR Surplus. They only sell on e-bay, but they sometimes have nice stuff. I've purchased quite a few things from them over the years.

Finally, sometimes members here have stuff that they want to get rid of. (I think Junktronics had some mounts he was selling not too long ago.) So keep checking in here and you might get lucky...

Adam

We tried the mounts on Sam's site early on, but pretty quickly ditched them in favor of commercial mounts. As Adam says, there isn't really such a thing as a cheap mount. Bite the bullet and buy some from Thorlabs, or Newport. You wont be disappointed that you did

On a side note, im loving this new version of Firefox with inbuilt spell check, it makes me realize how bad my spelling really is
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Without a spell checker, I'd be doomed. I can't spell worth shit.

Adam