Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Get together in January for Florida laser hobbyists.?.

If we can not grill that's cool. My girlfriend makes a mean lasagna also. I just have to bully her into it. :roll: Nothing a baseball bat can't do... to defend myself with when I ask.

I have a handy cam but it's got a few burnt pixels... :roll: ops:

I'd like to keep things simple... Maybe having a grill is getting too complicated for a one-day event. There are lots of other ways we can have food. (And we're only talking about a small group anyway. We could always order pizza!)

Speaking of time - how long can we use the room? If things are going really well, can we continue late into the night? (And maybe come back in the morning on Sunday to clean up?)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo
    (And maybe come back in the morning on Sunday to clean up?)
    That's why we bring our women... Please don't let mine see this :roll:

You do like to live dangerously, don't you? :twisted:

I won't be bringing my wife, so I'll have to clean up my own mess. (Actually, even if she did come with me, I'd still have to clean up my own mess!) I might bring my son with me, but if past experience is any guide I'll have to clean up after HIS mess as well. (Sigh...)

Adam

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

now that there is a place, lets see how many will actually come. if it is only us three, this thing will be over in a couple of hours.

I know for a fact that Fred (Astroguy) wants to come. He has to check his schedule once he gets back to work on the 2nd of Jan, but so long as he can get away, he will be there.

I talked to DreamBeamz earlier, and he expressed an interest in the event (even though he's in NC, so it would be a hell of a road trip for him), but only if it's on the 27th. (He's busy on the 20th.)

Dzurcher (David) said that he'd be there. He hasn't checked in here in a couple days, but with the holidays and all I suppose that's to be expected. He also said that he had some sound equipment. I'm hoping that he'll get with you, Paul, and work out who needs to bring what.

Marconi also said he'd be there, and suggested that he might bring Kcar with him. (I'm pretty sure he's in Orlando, so that works out really well for him.) Then we've got Allthat, you, and me, so that makes 7-8 laser geeks so far.

Allthat said he might bring a friend or two, and I might bring one as well. I figure we're probably looking at a total of around 12 people right now, including guests, though that will probably increase after the 1st of the year when more people get back from vacation and start checking in here.

I think we would be OK up to around 25-30 people or so with a room this size. Maybe even more than that. But if we only have 8-10 people show up, that's cool too. I really just wanted to get some of the hobbyists together to see how it goes. I'm sure SELEM will be somewhat larger, but we can learn a lot from how it goes with this group. (Plus, I'm just really psyched up about the event, and I don't want to have to wait until summer!)

Adam

Cool, I'll hang loose for a week and see what happens. DreamBeams has a krypton laser i want to buy. If he
    has a big enough vehicle to bring it - it may be worth our collective whiles- 8)

Hey, I thought this get together would not involve commerce. Will you need a variance now? :lol: . Just kidding
    Remember the future?, That'd today, as you imagined it yesterday.

very good. you got me.

Hehe... Good one Jkaiser.

Re: the krypton laser that George has. If it's the one I'm thinking of, then it's a beast! George has lots of very nice lasers, including some big honkin' water-cooled ion lasers that absolutely make me green with envy. (That guy has some *serious* toys!)

I once went up to visit him and positively *drooled* over his water-cooled Kr/Ar mixed-gas whitelight that he had running in his garage. (Talk about an awesome laser; it made something like 3.5 watts off single phase 220v power!) That was the first time I had ever seen 514 nm green... All I can say is - WOW! Totally different from 532 nm. Much deeper. Of course, George also had an 8-channel PCAOM hooked up to that sucker so he could select all the various colors. Damn, I want one! (In fact, I think he recently sold one of his whitelight lasers on E-bay. But it was worth a heck of a lot more than I could afford!)

Sure would be nice if George can make it to the event. Even better if he brings the big Krypton laser with him. (Though I don't know if you'd be able to run it there... If it's the laser I'm thinking of it will require 3 phase power in order to run.)

Adam