Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Get together in January for Florida laser hobbyists.?.

8) :twisted: 8) :twisted:

WHOO HOO!!! FLEM was an overwelming success! Great turnout, although some couldn't stay long... Damn TV station. :roll:

We had 3 RGB's, two TTL and one analouge, and a green dpss and a > 1 watt krypton... beast projector. Yea, we got pictures, I didn't my camera sux, but I got some DV that'll take me a lil whilel to get onto a PC. There were several still cameras and buffo's got a lot of video.

I'm a ruined man now... Pangolin was there and showed us the shiznit... Now I am home and almost don't want to set the popelscan back up... :cry: Guess I have a new goal in life. :lol: Hopefully short term. :roll: It does exactly what I want... dammit...

Got to check my lasers out. Looks like my green has no IR filter... :x and my 50mW blue measured 75 to 90mW consitantly and from several distances. The 30mW green measured 50 to 60 up close and 25 after my galvos...

I got to play with the VIOLET POINTER!!! One more step closer to a complete life.

Damn... I'm sure others will share more, and I'll try to get what I got on DV onto a PC and up here... 8)

Wow, yeah, FLEM turned out great! Big thanks to Spec for bringing us such a great forum, also big thanks to Buffo for putting together the FLEM idea and a huge thanks to Clandestiny for allowing us to use his facility and bringing some of his gear !!! I'd also like to thank Pangolin for attending and sharing his wealth of knowledge!

and a > 1 watt krypton... beast projector
    Actually that was a lexel argon laser. Not sure how much power he had coming out of it, but if I had to guess it was around 2 watts.

David

Quote Originally Posted by DZurcher
    Wow, yeah, FLEM turned out great! Big thanks to Spec for bringing us such a great forum, also big thanks to Buffo for putting together the FLEM idea and a huge thanks to Clandestiny for allowing us to use his facility and bringing some of his gear !!! I'd also like to thank Pangolin for attending and sharing his wealth of knowledge!

and a > 1 watt krypton... beast projector
    Actually that was a lexel argon laser. Not sure how much power he had coming out of it, but if I had to guess it was around 2 watts.

David
    I agree FLEM was great My wife Dee and I had a great time. It was nice meeting all you great people. Thanks Dave for bringing your RGB setup and letting me run it with Mamba, it was nicest one I have seen! Now I have to have Pangolin. I am talking to Bill about which system to get .
    I have to say that after seeing Pangolin in action I feel like taking a hammer to my dac and software. Anyone want to buy Mamba Black with Easylase dac :?:
    Adam the home brew was great, wish I could bring some to Taiwan with me tomorrow.
    OK guys lets start planning on FLEM part 2. :P

Fred
    "Gravity its not just a good idea its the law"

Hi all,

Thanks for a great time at FLEM. It was great to get to meet all of you, although I have to say, I am more accustomed to using your on-line nicknames than I am your first name ops:

Special thanks to SPEC and BUFFO for putting on such a great meeting, and of course CLANDESTINY for the use of the building and argon laser and other cool toys!

Just let me know when the next event will be and we will try to make it. Hopefully Hayden will be able to make it next time as well...

Best regards,

William Benner
    Pangolin Laser Systems

I was hoping to go to FLEM, but I got booked to do a show in Los Angeles this weekend. :cry:

Post any good pictures you guys took in the Lounge!

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis
    U ear yet Adam? It's only a 5, 6 hour drive... :roll: It's called 95 for a reason.
    Dude - I told you I wouldn't have internet access once I left the house! And there's no way I'm driving 95 on the interstate. (Not that I'm averse to speed, mind you. I just don't like speeding in a loaded Jeep when traffic can come to a standstill in a matter of seconds - especially on I-95 in Georga! That section of road is PERMANENTLY under construction.)

But rest assured, I did survive the trip. (Both ways, in fact!)

Wow - FLEM was a resounding sucess! All the way around! We owe a huge debt to Clandestiny... Not only did he provide a great meeting place, but he RENTED A U-HAUL TRUCK so he could bring some toys to the event. I have to admit, I never thought I'd ever see a 17.4 watt whitelight head. Of course, there's no way we could fire that monster (what did you say Paul? 480V 3 phase power at 100 amps per leg plus 8.5 GPM water cooling?) But just to see the beast was enough. And that old-school multi-turret projector you brought was *great*. (Running 1.5 to 2 watts of lovely argon...) Nothing quite like beams blasting all over the room like that. (That was a Lexel 85, right? Running on the Aurora PSU?) Then too, he brought the display screen and the sound system. What a guy!

Dzurcher wins the award for the projector that was running the longest! His Pangolin-based analog RGB rig was running the whole time, and the shows he had were breathtaking! I think everyone liked the Pink Floyd shows. (We watched "Money" at least 3 times that I remember!) Great stuff Dave... Really! Your projector was awesome. (And it was also cool to play with your 60X too... I've goofed around with several of the Spectra Physics units, but never had the chance to see the ALC-60X in operation. I know Allthatwhichis liked it too!)

Bill Brenner, president of Pangolin, was there, and he deserves some special recognition. He offered to tune everyone's galvos, and did an *excellent* job. What's more, he EXPLAINED the process of tuning, and also pointed out a few tricks that can help a user get more out of their scanners. (Here's a tip - faster isn't always better.) The results of his tuning speak for themselves. Bill didn't just pop in for an hour or two either... He was there for the whole event, answering questions, kibitzing with some of the members, tweaking amps... (Chances are good that the president of a company who also has a wife and kids at home probably doesn't have a lot of free time to spend with a bunch of laser geeks, but he did it anyway and we were quite thankful for it.) Oh yeah, and thanks for the T-shirts too!

He even brought some laser shows on his laptop, and for about an hour we all got to watch some very cool stuff. Contrary to how some of us have portrayed Bill in the past, he really is a hell of a guy. I was honestly impressed by how easy it was to talk to him. And he certainly knows his stuff! But he is also able to explain himself clearly, which is not all that common among technical people. I also have to admit that as the day progressed I felt a growing sense of shame over some of the things that I said about him in the past. ops: Sorry Bill...

Also, Bill has taken some heat here on the forums for some of his comments about the Pangolin hardware and software. Bill has said before that "the proof of the pudding is in the eating", and I have to admit that I now agree with that statement. We discovered that the Easylase USB DAC has some pronounced sample jitter. Bill explained the flaw to those us that were unfamiliar with the concept. Then we unplugged the projector from the Easylase DAC and plugged it into Dzurcher's Pangolin board. Poof! Just like that, the problem was gone and the test pattern was perfect. (Well, within the limits of the DT-40's - more on that later.) The scanners and amps were performing fine, but the Easylase DAC has some timing issues. (Damn...) I think Fred sumed it up quite nicely in his post above: "I want to take a hammer to my DAC"

Bottom line is this: Without being overbearing or condescending, Bill showed us that, while you can do some cool things with just about any DAC, you can do some really *mind-blowing* things with Pangolin. Honestly, the abstract generator alone is enough to keep a person busy for years....

Big thanks are in order for Aaron for bringing the lasagna (I ate 2 pieces! Good stuff man!). I'm hoping I can get together with you the next time I visit my Mom. Since you're so close, maybe we can get your lasers mounted in a case and get a different DAC working for you. (At least your blue laser is working better than you thought!)

Very sorry about the demise of Fred's green laser... Your RGB projector was looking so great, and then POOF! Sigh. At least this way you'll be forced to install that second Maxyzmodule when you rip the optical table out to fix the green laser, right? And speaking of Maxyzmodules, thanks to Marconi and Maxy for showing up. Too bad you had to leave so early though - things were really just getting started. At about 9:00 PM things were really hopping. Hope the video turns out so you can see what you missed!

And Spec, buddy, I can't believe you drove all that way with your back hurting like that! And you were right about the fog machine - I need to get one of those Antari units. (Where did you get that micro-particle fog juice anyway? I want some!) The gift for Clandestiny was a class act, and wholly appropriate. Well done dude.

If this little FLEM was any indication, the SELEM meeting this summer should be a total blast. I can't wait...

Adam

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

well well well-
    I would like to thank phillip morris, kraft foods, valvoline, dupont automotive paints-
    oh wait a minute wrong speech.
    I am just in a daze trying to figure out the taxes on my pangolin goodie bag- lets see
    one intro card, coherent dpss 5 watt laser, cambridge scanners- hmm
    I will self nominate and accept the i told you so award on behalf of bill brenner of pangolin-
    Although he does have a product to sell, it was nice of him to stay for the whole event and share
    some expertise-
    Seriously though, I hope everyone enjoyed themsleves. I want to personally thank everybody for helping me
    load my stuff on and off the truck.
    Yes the scotch was thoughful and appreciated. I am waiting to see the video- Here are a few pics I took-
    http://clandestinesystems.com/flem1.JPG
    http://clandestinesystems.com/flem2.JPG
    http://clandestinesystems.com/flem3.JPG
    http://clandestinesystems.com/flem4.JPG
    http://clandestinesystems.com/flem5.JPG
    http://clandestinesystems.com/flem6.JPG
    Feel free to contact me anytime. I'll keep and eye out for the next event-
    Paul
    aka clandestiny
    go big or go home

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

ohh at one point Aaron ( allthatwhichis ) asked me if everything I own was in flight cases- that was good :lol:
    go big or go home

:lol:

That wasn't a joke, EVERYTHING you had came in one, except that BEAST Coherent... It was a coherent, right? ops:

What the?!?

LD2000 Intro: $1495
    Looks like Pangolin dropped the price of the intro card! Looks like it still includes all the free shows and the same features for $500 less!

Something else I was hoping to show you guys at FLEM but forgot all about, is how you can have the card running in a pc next to the projector and run the software and shows from a remote (wired or wireless) laptop. And now, it looks like Pangolin has another new product so that you don't even need the pc! http://www.pangolin.com/LD2000/QM2000NET.htm Gotta get me one of these OEM models!
    It would be great to be able to integrate that into a very small remote scan head, then send the signal with x inverted to a slave scan head next to it for symetrical beams. All off of 1 wired or wireless card, sweeeet!

David