Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Laserscope KTP

Default Laserscope KTP

So... who on here has one of these ?

got pics ? stories ? tips and tricks ? anything one should be aware of before a purchase?
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

and that is???

fat heavy ugly shit-looking washing machine styled ex-medical lasers that make oh, between 20 and 60 watts of 532nm.

Flashlight style beam though... good for toasting mozzies

www.lasershowparts.com

Your description about sums it up

What would you like to know?

oh as for a tip:

Don't leave the 1" stationary beam on anything flammable while aligning the system. (oops) 44 watts of 532 can and will start things on fire pretty fast.

Remember these are pulsed so forget about scanning anything above 12k or so. Because this is pretty much a custom built beam system a good collimator is pretty much essential but you can throw green beams for a long distance. You will also need BIG apertures on the scanners and big scanners and drivers. We were using 6870's we actually got them tuned to 12k!! But we usually were going way slower just for big beam aerials.

They are very heavy ~400 lbs or so if I remember correct. The lamp power supplies were a little finicky. An depending on the level of hacking the orig laser scope control hardware and software was also a little funky.
    Now days I would stay away from anything flash lamp powered and water cooled. It just seems like you have to be solid state to remain competitive any more.

chad

aijii;

I'm vaguely familiar with the Laserscope line of YAG lasers, and was agreeing with your description 100%, right up until this part:
    Quote Originally Posted by aijii
    Flashlight style beam though... good for toasting mozzies
    HUH? (Insert the sound of a phonograph needle being dragged across the surface of a record here)

What the heck is a mozzy? And why are we toasting them with a laser again?

Adam

Memories... sweet memories...

Mosquitio in colloquial Australian, and they are being burnt because they really have no business in the line of one of those things anyways, its not like they have much of an option either... attracted to light... and this is a, pardon the expression, metric fuckton of light.

Beam size and divergence is to be expected... 8mm diameter high-dopant yag rod, 4.5 inches long. I *think* the litton rods were sitting at 2%

If i remember correctly its Q-switched also. So 40W isn't entirely accurate, its closer to 20kW over a few nanoseconds, pulsed.

Yea, I have one of the sharplan yag's here 150W 1064nM... Heavy beast of a power supply, dumps 8kW across the flash lamp with a dizzying repetition rate. Never found the money to convert it to 532nM though.

If your looking for high impact green, those are really the only option, sadly. Some guys at viasho have managed to make 10W 532's that are water cooled, but you could get 3 of these things for what they are asking.

Quote Originally Posted by aijii
    fat heavy ugly shit-looking washing machine styled ex-medical lasers
    And yes: Entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec
    Some guys at viasho have managed to make 10W 532's that are water cooled, but you could get 3 of these things for what they are asking.
    I'd hope that, spending THAT much money on a Viasho, it would be indeed making 10 watts, and not 4.2 watts, or even 420mw.... *cough*

There are quite a few other options. Laser innovations make a few interesting goodies, http://www.laser-innovations.co.uk/products/laser.shtml

Lee-laser also do some big yags.

I'm just too scared to ask what the retail price of these things is.

www.lasershowparts.com

Quote Originally Posted by chad
    What would you like to know?
    Well, if we'd be buying one, we'd be pretty much new to it the world of YAGs... how much of the "internals" are un-necessary for light show use ?

Also, I've read and been told that these things operate "CW" (at a lower power), as well as Q-Switched. I don't understand how a flash-lamp pumped laser can run CW ?

Do you have any lying around you'd be willing to part with ?

www.lasershowparts.com

how much of the "internals" are un-necessary- Optics wise you will want to keep most of it in. You will be able to remove the hene aiming stuff, some of the safety shutters. and the fiber launch stuff. You can totally bypass the laser scope control but that will be a bunch of work to get it to run without blowing itself up. You would have to emulate the yag flash lamp control circut, pump power, low water level, over temperature, conductivity, q switch signal....

Yes you can run them cw. They basically shut down the q switch and run the flash lamp like a neon tube. Mne gave me right about what you said 4.5 watts cw.

Think long and hard about buying one. The sheer power of 40 watt rms or so is fun for a while but after a couple of shows dragging that boat anchor around you will start to question the purchase. The thing is so heavy that you can't get it up above a crowd. You would have to literally rent a fork lift to lift it up high. once yo have it up there i would not want to be underneath it. We had two fiber launches to two fiber heads. we could only get about 10 watts out of each head. if you run any more it will toast the end of the fiber because of the funky mode of the laser($1000 a pop). If we were to go to a bigger fiber we could get more power but than you waist a bunch of the light spilling off of the scanners. It also had a raw beam out with a big set of scanners but it wasn't used much because the thing only stands three feet of of the floor and with a q switched laser audance scanning is never to be done, period, the average power is 40 watts but the peak power is WAY higher and will blind people..

Any way if you can get one for a couple of grand then they are fun to play with but if you want to do shows with them them and have to pay real money your money would be better spent on a couple of 3 or so watt yags in small boxes on tripods that you can stick stage left and right.

hope this helps..
    Chad