Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M-140 Diode W/O cooling!?

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    ... I'm driving all my diodes with LM317 or LM338 as current-regulators and max. 12 Volts - the effective voltage will follow the current adjusted by the LM's.
    check out LT1083 too, it is a robust IC, low noise, low ripple, 7.5 amps
    "its called character briggs..."

... I'm using until 5 of the LM317 (fix set up to 1A each continuous) or LM338 (up to 2A) in a driver with 5 jumpers, switches or relays - so it's possible to set the max. current in coarse steps from 0.5A to 9A and fine-tune it by PWM of the source with a MOSFET to any value from 0 to max set without problems.

With a single LT1083 (I've tested this too) it's more complicated, as here I have to adjust the sense resistor for the max. current ... and with the single TO-220 housing it has a much smaller heat dissipation capability than 5 of the LM's ;-)

Viktor

excellent! thanks

that would be an interesting setup
    "its called character briggs..."

... in post #3 I've linked to a wiki-page I've set up for some laser-cutter infos ... here the mentioned driver in detail: http://reprap.org/wiki/File:9Amp-driver.jpg

Using is as easy as shown in the schematics in the wiki, the sense-resistor defines the current per LM ( I[A] = 1,25[V] / Rs[Ohm] ), the 0R22 resistors (smaller for higher currents) 'harmonize' the single LM's, so the summed currents will be averaged without oszillating, and PWM-driving the diode is done by switching the power to the network through a MOSFET (single TO-220 on the left side)

Viktor

so what driver can i make?
    i am not an expert in soldering, but my friend helps me with that

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    ... but with only 500mA or 0.5Watts each, so not really overpowered ;-)

Viktor
    they put diodes in spec'd at 1watt and run them at half power? that seems a strange thing to do?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

... I think, it's a matter of heat-dissipating (sizes/prices of coolers) and enhanced lifetimes with 'underpowering' the laserdiodes ...

@mrfloppy - look at the specs of a LM317, decide, which current/power is enough and select the sense-resistor for this ... e.g. a driver for roughly 0.5Watts and 570mA is made with a single LM317 and a resistor with 2.2 Ohms (common used 2Watts or 5Watts-types) ... and an appropriate cooler for the LM ...

Viktor

They're not underpowered per se, but they're pulsed in the projector. Much less heat output. They need to be pulsed because a DLP projector produces different colours by rapidly changing between colours, then rapidly moving the mirror array, turning on the mirrors needed for that colour.
    Last edited by Things; 11-23-2012 at 01:25.