Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with DAC0832 (popelscan)

Good glad you got it going, Sorry for the delay been busy with holiday stuff..

Chad

No problem... unfortunately I blew my laser diode today so I can't use it anyway. Well, it sort of works. It works as an LED and gets nice and warm. Maybe I can hang it on my Christmas tree.

Damn man you can't win can ya?

I finally got everything working today. It sure was exciting to see this thing work after about a year or more of researching how it all works and drooling over everyone elses stuff. Does anyone know what the bpm stuff at the bottom left of the Popelscan screen is about? There are a bunch of other things on it that I am unsure of. Has any compiled a list of what all the buttons and sliders do? Maybe we should do that if not and add it as a sticky or something?

I dunno man, never heard of a tutorial. I almost asked Christoph about one but then figured popelscan is probably a temporary stop for us. We'll be wanting more soon enough that no onw has bothered to write one. :roll:

The bpm box is related to the random box. If you load a mp3 and click random, I think you have to click play mp3 and mot, it will go through the mot list on your far right which is dependent on what folder you are getting your mp3 from. I think you can jump to another folder if you like after you load the mp3. Random will chose a random mot and place draw it while placing a marker at the "time" of the mp3 it was loaded then goto another mot and add another marker at "that" time. The bpm box will override the randomness and allow you to pick what beat per minute your mp3 is running at and change mots to that "rhythm".

Does that make sense? :?

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. Popelscan is pretty nice for free but it sure is buggy. I think I am going to take a stab at writing my own software. I think it will be interesting to write a laser show program since it covers such a broad range of technology: sound, graphics, hardware, etc.

I went to school for video game programming and found it a lil too tedious for my tastes. I would think laser show software would be about the same. What language do you use?

I'm using C# with managed DirectX. It should provide plenty of performance, I think.

Not sure about c#, I was taught c++. I know a lil VB and Java but not much at all. I guess Java is like c++ but with a garbage collector... :roll:

Did you go to that school in Orlando?