Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need Laserscope guru. (possibly more..lol) Greenlight HPS

I don't know much about what you have to do to get this running but found that error 500's are part of the display assembly and 800's are related to the system.
    Do you have the manual for this beast?
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/76755958/G...perator-Manual

A couple of questions re the Greenlight model. Are these Q-switched? If so, do you know what the rep rate and pulse length is? Any idea what the beam quality is, (diameter/divergence) prior to any fiber issues.

You do not need to consider chopping this thing up. If you do not find a low cost and simple solution then even if you are not an MD you can schedule a repair visit from the manufacturer. Many of the medical laser leasing co are owned and run by individuals with no medical background/credentials or any technical expertise.
    Furthermore, there are third party laser maintenance co out there who might be willing to do a service call at a reduced rate if you stipulate this is not for patient use (they may not believe you and so will not be willing to do a patch job). You will just have to check. But in any case, don't leave them alone. Hang around with a list of simple pertinent questions and watch them carefully. You might even get a copy of a manual, for a fee, if you are nice.

I have had this unit for a few months so I have patience. I have tryed all sources for info and came up nil. ArcDelilz- I found that Manuel, but thank you. Took me a while to locate it. Right now I have a 833 and 653 error. I think its a cooling issue since it wasn't drained/ filled correctly prior to me getting it. Planters - I don't belive its q-switched. (I think the newer XPS is) The HPS is diode pumped and power is given as CW. The fiber is 600um core with a .05-.15 rads FAHM. The fiber is side firing at the distal end. I presume to reach the tissue its in tender to vaporize. I'll tell you something else but I also read it once and can't find it again. Supposedly it has a feature called StarPulse which delivers 250w for short periods. I have no idea how accurate that is since it was only referanced once. I am more then willing to answer any questions on this unit. This might be the first one for the hobby crowd to see up close. The optical module is sick. Nothing like anything else I have seen. It might be the resonator from another thread that was called a "T" shape that someone posted that patent for from laser scope....

Wow. Great info daniel! Question for you. Is there any valves besides the one on top of the psu? And should that one be all the way open or somewhere in between? It was kind of a quarter way open when I got it. Next question. Would the 653 stay in memory and not let you clear it? I know the system wasn't filled all the way when I got it. I have since bled it and refilled with new di water. If there possibly a vapor lock or air trapped in the line somewhere? How can I check the flow? I know its circulating at least to the first filter unit. And yes, the chiller does start up about 20sec before the errors appear. Is there anything I can do from my end to clear the problem codes? Thank you so much for the info. You confirmed what I thought the errors were related to. Now to fix them!

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

If its plumbed the way a classic laserscope was plumbed, manually hit the float switch in the tank a few times. They have a habit of sticking after storage. The most common failure point in a water cooled laser of ANY kind is the flow and float switches.
    Algea some how lives in these things, so check the lines and any moving parts for slime.

Flow switches do wear out, big time. Usually the submerged plastic bearing in the rotary type (Proteus) wears so it no longer spins, or just trys to spin off axis once in a while. On the linear piston types, the thin plastic piston cracks and water just flows through it, or the piston spring breaks.. So that is a logical error.

Since you now own one of the most scary mobile lasers on the planet to work on... You do have full wrap around "certified" goggles, rated better then OD 6 for 1064, and 532, and possibly 808 right?

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 01-04-2013 at 20:18.

I will check all the float/flow switches this weekend, thank you Mixed gas. And no worries about eye protection. I have several pairs of goggles since they are required for work as well. As I said in a previous post, I do have formal training on laser safety. Not a study at home program, but in class instruction. I need to be recertified once a year. So I have every precausion taken. I have seen first hand what lasers can do to an unprotected eye. Even at incredibly low power...

Daniel- I will follow your advice word for word tmrw. One quick question. I have seen the main PCB on the XPS and that seems to have the SD card. However I have looked everywhere and cannot pinpoint one for the HPS. It looks like it has a dedicated data logging board located on the swing out door that allows access to all the electronics. The board labeled " rear PCB" looks like where the SD card is located on the xps but not here on the HPS. Could that be a new feature or am I looking at the complete wrong board in the system? I will post the specs of what has been p-touched to the resonator. I know the last service by AMS was in late 2011 and the flow rate is listed as 1.5 that's all I can remember at this time.

Still have a bunch of things to check and go through so the unit works. But unfortunately it looks like I am going to need the service card for it regardless. Anyone happen to have a spare or can point in the right direction??? Not looking for a hand out so I am willing to pay/trade for one. Also need the service software. Can't find a d/l link anywhere for it. Thank you to all have helped!

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Medical service software in the US is more carefully guarded then the gold in Ft. Knox.
    The profit model is centered on the Doctor buying the laser use time and equipment service from LS.
    This was done to squeeze out resellers and rental units from the business, while profiting by providing a fixed cost to insurance companies.

I just spent a year in the medical service biz. I'd be shocked if you can get a floating service card.
    I know for what I worked on, it took three people's passwords to create a service dongle, and two of them had to be from other divisions of the company.

Steve

Steve is right. I have the T shirt. Why not just schedule a service call with the manufacturer or better with a third party maintenance company? Based on E bay listings I am assuming you payed $5,000 to $10,000 for the laser and a once over to check the consumables and confirm the pressures, flows and PO would probably cost (if you do it at their convenience) less than $1,000. If you are nice and watch they might let you copy the manual and learn how to avoid these error codes in the future. This is a "new" laser for you and there might be other issues that they catch that don't cause the computer to complain, but maybe should be checked.