Thread: Broken Galvo Mirror

Default Broken Galvo Mirror

I ordered a new set of scanners to upgrade a laser from 10k to 25k (yay!) and the Y mirror on the galvo, is broken off - at the attachment point on the spindle of the galvo. I can push it back in, but it instantly falls back out. It looks like it was broken PERFECTLY out of the spindle, as there is no small piece of mirror stuck in the spindle - the mirror is intact.

Is it possible to glue the mirror back on? I've heard of people doing it, and have a good steady hand (master solderer here!) and can make up something to hold the scanner set still and upright. Can I use super glue, or will I need something a bit more tough?

Robert

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

never use superglue. it out gasses and will foul the optics.

try a AB epoxy. preferably something that has low emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by ragerlazer View Post
    I ordered a new set of scanners to upgrade a laser from 10k to 25k (yay!) and the Y mirror on the galvo, is broken off - at the attachment point on the spindle of the galvo. I can push it back in, but it instantly falls back out. It looks like it was broken PERFECTLY out of the spindle, as there is no small piece of mirror stuck in the spindle - the mirror is intact.

Is it possible to glue the mirror back on? I've heard of people doing it, and have a good steady hand (master solderer here!) and can make up something to hold the scanner set still and upright. Can I use super glue, or will I need something a bit more tough?

Robert
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I bought some a 60 second epoxy - mix blue with clear and it dries in a minute, cures in an hour. Should work yes?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i would think so.

Quote Originally Posted by ragerlazer View Post
    I bought some a 60 second epoxy - mix blue with clear and it dries in a minute, cures in an hour. Should work yes?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

ok this is how i did it when my mirror broke a week or so ago...

i put the gavlo in the mounting block
    then put the mounting block in my hobby vice so the the gavlo was vertical
    i used tweezers to hold the mirror because my fingers where to fat.
    i then put loctite 5min epoxy on the mirror and lined it up in the slot and let it cure, its been scanning fine since