Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Message about spam

Who said spammers didn't like lasers?, especially violet ones :lol:
    Remember the future?, That'd today, as you imagined it yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis
    I wonder if the violet handheld got you a lil more popular with them than before. <snip> the spam traffic seems to have gotten much worse since about that time.
    Yep... Making the front page of Hackaday.com no doubt increased PL's visibility to the spammers. But we've also picked up some more new users since then, so it probably balances out in the end. (Just think of what would happen if this place ever got slashdotted or diggfucked!) I don't know where Spec is hosting the board, but he'd need a shitload of bandwidth to withstand an onslaught like that.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis
    I wonder if the violet handheld got you a lil more popular with them than before. I haven't been around long but the spam traffic seems to have gotten much worse since about that time. But again, I've only been around a few months.
    Yea it got nastier since then... Started getting a lot of links in from these new sites which boosted the PL page rank in google... The higher that rank the more attractive it is to link spammers.

I visit a lot of other forums and they don't seem to ever get Spam and they have been around a lot longer than this and have a lot of users. For example, the Jeep forum I go to... I don't know how they do it, though.

please send me a link to their forum in a PM, im interested to see how they do it.

Is vBulletin more secure than phpBB ?
    A lot of the bigger boards use that.
    It may be that they also use more admin and moderators to go with it though.

Jim

I also hang around DFI-Street, an overclocking motherboard support site. They get spam on occation but it doesn't happen more than two or three times a month at most. I think there are about 28,000 members also. It's also a privatly owned forum, although he is employeed by the motherboard company.

I know an electronicsforum I'm a member of had a solution. We wanted everyone to read the rules so we but in the answer to a question in the rules. Then you had to answer the question to register. The question did not make any sense so you could not guess the answer.

It works well, we have almost no spam there.
    You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!