Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Yet Another Spirograph Generator

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

I don't want to thread jack but... here's another java (Processing) based tool that is known to compile on OSX (unfortunately Processing only allows you to compile on the system you currently own so I can't compile for OSX myself) http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...Ilda-view-tool
    This is open source so feel free to have a look. In the future, something like a proper abstract generator is certainly possible, but that's for after this exam period (unless you can figure out my code and add it yourself - beginning programmer here as well).

Now back to awesome spirographs!

Wow - never heard of Processing before now, but what I quickly read about it seems pretty cool. Looks like it has an abstraction layer on top of OpenGL and allows standard java source as well. Neat. I'll take a look at what you've done so far.

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    I don't want to thread jack but... here's another java (Processing) based tool that is known to compile on OSX (unfortunately Processing only allows you to compile on the system you currently own so I can't compile for OSX myself) http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...Ilda-view-tool
    This is open source so feel free to have a look. In the future, something like a proper abstract generator is certainly possible, but that's for after this exam period (unless you can figure out my code and add it yourself - beginning programmer here as well).

Now back to awesome spirographs!

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Yes, this makes it a great tool for visual work. It has the same functionability of Java but is easier to use. Drawing a line is as easy as "line(x1, y1, z1, x2, y2, z2);". Drawing a point is as easy as "point(x, y, z);". Do this over an array of points you have read from an ilda file... and you have my program :P

I revisited this project and recalled that I had made some tweaks that I had not posted back here. So, I've just posted the latest version. It's been a while since I worked on this in depth, but I believe one of the bigger additions was the live preview of how the shape is going to change over time. It's not perfect, but it gives one an idea of what's going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFang View Post
    I see that this is a rather old thread, however I too find this project extremely fascinating - not only because of how cool Spirographs are, but also because this is a Java app that works perfectly on OS X, and that is quite rare in the Laser geek world.

Anyway, any progress made with the color version? Any chance of making this an open source project and throwing the source on GitHub? I am a rather experienced developer (with tons of GUI experience) and would love to build this out further like adding support for a turtle like graphics system (L-system), so things like Hilbert Curves and other fractal images would be possible.
    Thanks for the MacOS shout out! Glad it works. It's one of the reasons I wrote this in Java to begin with.

I'm not averse to posting this somewhere, maybe GPL3, but I have no experience with GitHub.

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    Thanks for the MacOS shout out! Glad it works. It's one of the reasons I wrote this in Java to begin with.

I'm not averse to posting this somewhere, maybe GPL3, but I have no experience with GitHub.
    https://github.com github is a source control and revision tracking website and tool. There are other hosts for git but GitHub is popular for a lot of open source projects. The revision tracking alone is nice and being able to branch off of a. Code base for different revisions without modifying the release branch.

Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

For those DIYing an 'olde school' Spiro I found the best switches posssile-
    DPDT with off in the center- NO PLASTIC ( those are dirt cheap and worth dirt)

These are no longer being made in the USA- ( thanks china!)

they have a soft black rubber 'cover' over the switch 'lever' that makes it water-resistant/(maybe water proof)- it can be removed by using the collar if you prefer seeing metal-

I am asking 4$ each plus actual cost to ship-
    4 pcs for $12-- built to last- pics will come soon in a thread at BS&T--
    I am bringing 30 or so with me to SELEM-- having center off allows me to use one less switch per motor-- I doubt you can find any better than these--REAL bakelite!!
    Made in USA!!

hak
    @Rod- there are 4 of these already in your box
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-