Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Safetyscan lens holder, anyone developed one yet?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

While I like the sexiness of what Jon has proposed, I'm not fully getting how he proposes to accomplish some of the adjustments. Per Bill, and as I understand it, these lenses need the ability to have movement vertically, horizontally and tilt. The gimbal mount affords the tilt forward and back, but not the up/down and side to side in quite the way I think Bill described. Some of the machined solutions and drawings seem to handle that part better.

The biggest issue I see and, it's been mentioned before is the idea of "universal" that can go on any projector and I just see that as hard to impliment with everyone having different cases, round versus square apertures, etc. Even the thickness of the panel it would mount to would create differences in a turnkey solution.

I think that most of your issues could be addressed with some spacer blocks like Dave's one to go under DT galvo blocks. The only real variable seems to be whether a projector has a flush or proud aperture window.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I think that most of your issues could be addressed with some spacer blocks like Dave's one to go under DT galvo blocks. The only real variable seems to be whether a projector has a flush or proud aperture window.
    That's what I was thinking. Design to fit a popular projector with a fixed window aperture with rails, such as a Kvant, then produce modular parts to allow it to be adapted to fit custom cases which don't have those rails as standard.

Lightbulb lunch break... >_<

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Maybe it would be possible to fit a soft but heat resistant plastic liner....protection and size adjustment in one?
    ...sounds like a job for Trojan-man...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    ...these lenses need the ability to have movement vertically, horizontally and tilt. The gimbal mount affords the tilt forward and back, but not the up/down and side to side....
    Ah, glad you caught-that.. totally spaced out on detailing that part of the 'L-bracket mod' -(..then again, I posted that at what, 3am?? The 'lower-hole', that would go into the 'carrier', which goes on the dove rail (..which, btw, achieves all the Horiz. adjustability you'd ever practically-need..) should be a *SLOT*, not just a hole.. the 'top' hole, where the gimbal-base mounts, is-just a 'pass-thru' for the 1/4-20.. but, with the bottom - make it a 'slot' (hole nearer the inside corner and bandsaw / dremel, etc) and bingo, there's nearly an inch of 'Vertical-translation'.. And, you can make that 'L' as big as you'd want, for 'more V-travel', but.. I can't see ever-needing more than what a 1" L could provide.. Obviously, a 'prototype' is in-order, but.. I sure ain't got the time right now..

..And, yes, you could-get almost the same-result with the cheaper Dinkum 'fixed-base' - drill two holes, one above / below the existing and 'slot' with a dremel-wheel = V-translation.. Sure, that 'cheapo-method' would be a bit wonky in the H-axis, but.. you'd 'angle' that bracket, L/R, then 'back-adjust' the gimbal, to-compensate for the off-angle of the bracket..

..Sure, not as 'elegant' as the dove-rail set-up, but.. 'cheap', for those that would need it to-be... Personally, I'd go for the dove-rail setup, and the 'dual-clip' filter-holder... If-only that 'pellicle-yoke' was avail. for a 60mm lens..

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    The biggest issue I see and, it's been mentioned before is the idea of "universal" that can go on any projector...
    Sure.. I started thinking this up, when I was replacing a clamp-set that, whomever stole / lost that $2500.-worth of gear last Dec on us prolly *has* in their shop came-across this - http://www.samys.com/imagesproc/L2lt...==_H_SW700.jpg - ..and I thought, 'well, shoot - one of these, plus a threaded-ring holder, (like the one Thorlabs one..) could-be pretty doggone 'universal'.. and, those things are *tough* - once you position them, they *don't* move, until you move them.. and the clamp - wow, the thing could tear one of your nipples clean-off..

Anyhoo, again, not 'knocking' the designs / ideas in the thread, just saying, it is possible to 'diy', with relatively 'repeatable' / available stuff... What would be 'ultimate', imho, would be something like that 'pellicle-yoke', with quick-change clips, for the lens, and a super-mini, yet beefy, dual-gimble 'articulating-arm-style' adjuster, with locking-screw 'elbows', and a simple-base, similar the dove-rail... Then, you've got XYZ, all-covered, plus 'yaw / pitch / roll'..

.02, Gotta jet...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

At SELEM yesterday, Bill showed us a working solution they have developed. My understanding is they have no interest in mass producing them right now but will be happy to provide the schematics to any one who wants to make them. My mind immediately raced to Mr. Connolly. I'll put in my pre-order for six. (And will try to get more details today.)

Ummm .
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I'm hopefully going to pick up a Kvant one or maybe now a Pangolin one shortly. I'll post some pics and details if and when I do.

Maybe an opportunity for you and Andy to work together in the production of these items Al, a venture I will be keeping a close eye on in the future

I wish you both luck.
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

I emailed Bill yesterday for the schematics and he asked for the thread details where it was revealed (here!), I believe so that he can post the details for everyone, rather than servicing individual requests.

Watch this space
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Maybe AnAl Electronics LTD?
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!