Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Canned Laser

Default Old Canned Laser

Here's a diode laser in a can, from the bicentennial year of 1976. It was made by RCA the year after diode lasers operating CW at room temperature were first offered commercially. It's GaAs, and provided 5mW at 260mA.

Diode lasers are taking over the world, but don't have anywhere near the "neatness" of glass plasma tubes (in my opinion). I don't count this device in my list of lasers though, as I see it as a component like a plasma tube.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCA C30127.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	39626

Nice. While not as spectacular as many first generation part types, it is cool. Looks a bit like the unusually well-shaped LED's I have from HP somewhere. Gas lasers do have a special appeal though. Jem gave me a small red HeNe when he sold me the 2mW green HeNe, and I (at least twice) called it 'cute'. I have never thought a diode laser was cute. Gas lasers seem to be alive in a way...

The only thing I could wish for in that green one is to see the bare tube. But it's far too good for me to go poking around with that.

If you want a weak green tube to build into a box and admire Sam and I can sell you one. Phil
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)

Quote Originally Posted by 142laser View Post
    If you want a weak green tube to build into a box and admire Sam and I can sell you one. Phil
    I'll get by. Thanks though. If it's really tiny and cute I'd definitely like to see some pictures and think about that again, though I don't know if any really tiny green HeNe's were ever made. (I always had a thing about certain valves (vaccuum tubes) too. I liked the 'magic eye' tuning valves in old radios).

Well actually...we have a couple new old stock green HeNe tubes with HR mirrors at one and Brewster windows on the other end that are very short. They JUST lase even with a good OC mirror and alignment...tens of microwatts output but decent intra-cavity power. These are very rare tubes and not cheap. The "weak" green tube looks cool and is reasonable. Best, Phil

PS We also have red Brewster window at one end tubes...for the home scientist. Or for the school labs on laser alignment, intra cavity experiments...yeah, we got that. Most people visiting Sam's Laser FAQ never find the classified page so here again is the secret link... Every single item is as listed and if not money back. Yes...lasersam SELLS his stuff and nobody really knows. It is a secret...

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/sale/

Oh...Sam and I love tubes also. I have a working Spectra Physics 119 laser...anyone else? Vacuum tubes and transistors together...for the first time almost., 100 microwatts plus honest.

I have a working SP-119 too!

OK Bob...how many microwatts? I have to run mine frequently to keep it happy but it is fun. Really. I am doing the same things as the laser pioneers did...cool. Post some pictures...I will. Hey...did you get the RCA HeNe? I hope so. Phil

These lasers probably cook hot dogs wrapped in foil in a few hours also! Just place hot dog in foil on plasma tube heater shroud and close the head cover...Mmmmmmmm Mmmmmmmm! Laser dog....

I will test and report! Mmmmmm Mmmmmmmm!