Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie needs help!!!

Default Newbie needs help!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img2 (5).JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	36706I am in need of some serious help. I purchased a scanner set off Ebay, model PT-20K that included the PT-ITRUST showcard. I tried this setup out with a green laser pointer I had. I decided to go the next step and purchased a RGB laser module. It didn't come with any instructions what so ever. The only info on it is W200-12V-130114006. I know the unit is 12 volts and worked fine when I powered it up. When I connected it to the showcard to modulate the lasers I fried the circuit board on top of it. I think it's the driver card for the lasers so I think it can be replaced. My main question is how do I connect this laser unit to the showcard for modulation. Does anyone have/know of any documentation for this laser. It's from China and I have emailed them but there is no info about it. I plan to buy another one but I don't want to burn it up too. Also, what can anyone tell me about the dip switches on the showcard? I will try to include photos of my project as it stands. It's just the test phase so don't be too hard on me. Thanks very much.

Hi 2Tall,

Regarding the PT-iTrust card, I have them installed in several different projector configurations and haven't had any difficulty with any of them in DMX mode or when connected to a DAC via the ilda connector. Do you need the instructions for the card as well? If so, I will get you a PDF. If you intend to control the card via DMX or by a DAC, the first 9 dip switches are for the DMX address and dip switch 10 needs to be set to on. Otherwise the dip switches control the mode, such as audio or auto.

That card supports TTL or analog modulated lasers (0-5v) with no issues in my experience. Of course the card is not necessary if you connect your lasers and scanners directly to the ilda connector.

David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

My main concern is if anyone can identify the RGB laser module and how/where to make the connections for modulation. It didn't come with any documentation. Thanks.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img2 (3).JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	36746

I think it is a module like this:
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/190792201544

I know there are a few guys at the 'Laserfreak.net'-forum who also own a module like this.
    Have a look at this thread at laserfreak.net :
    http://www.laserfreak.net/forum/view...+modul#p255434
    The threadstarter knows a lot about this module. Perhaps you can ask him.
    But please be so kind to introduce yourself when you enter the forum.

Or you ask the german distributor on ebay for a documentation of this module.

Cheers
    StarryEyed

I am so sorry for my rudeness. My name is Tony. I am a retired Electrician. I have always been fasinated with lasers and laser shows. Now that I have the time I decided to jump in. I ordered a scanner set from Ebay. It included two galvos with mirrors, two amp/drivers, a power supply and a showcard and cables. The user manual says it's model:PT-20K. In a rough setup I used a green laser pointer to make sure everything works. I also purchased a 200mW "white light" laser module. It has the red, blue and green lasers with mirrors all mounted in a small case with the driver circuit board mounted on top. This is where my problems started. There was not one bit of infomation with this unit. I emailed the seller several times asking for documentation but never got anything. So I connected the laser to the showcard to what I thought were the modulation inputs. That's when I saw and smelled smoke. The laser no longer works. That's when I joined this forum. I have purchased another "white light" laser from Ebay. This one is 400mW combined RGB. The circuit board looks the same. I really need to know how to connect this to the showcard(PT-ITRUST)for modulation. Thanks for any help with this.

Hey Tony,
    Now try to contact the guys from Laserfreak.net...i really think that they can help you.

Regards
    StarryEyed

Hi

I sadly don't speak German. Would anyone know whether this module (similar to link above) is Analogue or TTL modulated? Also, whether or not they will post to the UK.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tchlink:top:de

Cheers

Jem

P.S. Sincere apologies for the threadjacking

EDIT: Silly Boy.... Just seen that is says 'Modulation: TTL', obviously the same in any language
    Last edited by Jem; 02-01-2013 at 01:58.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Thanks for the reply dkumpula. Would you know how to connect this module to the PT-ITRUST card? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0253.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	36916Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0249.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	36917Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0252.JPG 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	36918

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

did you try connecting the red/ground lines to the red molex connector, the green/ground lines to the green molex connector, and the blue/ground lines to the blue molex connector?

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Thanks for the reply dkumpula. Would you know how to connect this module to the PT-ITRUST card? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0253.JPG 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	36916Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0249.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	36917Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0252.JPG 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	36918
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Hey 2Tall,

In addition to what Swami said, the +12V and ground on the white connector for the unit itself should be the first thing you connect (to an appropriately sized switching transformer DC and make sure that's OK first. (I believe you said that part went fine last time.)

The outputs from a PT-ITrust board are fairly well marked, but here is the manual just in case you don't have it:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PT-iTrust Manual.pdf 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	36919

Unfortunately, I can't see in the pictures you provided if the pins on your laser module tell you which pin is +5V and which is ground for the connection. Hopefully it is labeled. The iTrust board in DMX, Audio or Auto mode will only work in TTL mode, but if you have a ILDA cable connected to a DAC properly, it simply feeds whatever it gets from the DAC to the lasers and galvos.

To keep things simple, I would make connections for one of your colors from the iTrust board first and then flip on power for your laser then for the showcard. Then put the show card into auto mode using the appropriate dip switch setting. Make sure you are getting output occassionally from that color, shut everything off and connect the other two inputs on your laser module to the iTrust card. Then you can connect your galvos and such and begin testing with DMX control and ILDA control via your DAC. At each stage, check everything carefully before powering up to keep things from "smoking-out" again. Implementing this in steps will allow you to identify the source of common problems (like reversing the DMX connections and such).

Also, I can't see what the last connector is. You shouldn't need anything else except the inputs and power for that unit, I wouldn't think, but I haven't seen one of these in person.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"