Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turn it in to something

Default Turn it in to something

I have the following laser projectors that I would like to customize / combine / turn them into something:

3 Chauvet Scorpions
    (GVC - 532nm@10mw, 20mw@405nm)
    (RVM - 650nm@15mw, 405nm@15mw)
    (RGY - 650nm@20mw, 532@10mw)

I recently upgraded to an RGB projector with galvos (finally!). I want to improve/upgrade these old scorpions.
    I am new to opening up projectors so I apologize in advance for any moronic terminology. I am constantly learning new things from this amazing forum.

Questions:

(1)
    Can I take the Diodes out and place them in 1 case/box/unit, use cubes (what kind?) to combine the separate red, green and violet diodes, then align it all to output through one of the Scorpion's stepper motor mirror optics/apeture?

(2)
    Can I combine the violet diode(s) to create RGV output. I think I would need dichros? White balance is not an issue, I just want 7 colors.

I know I would need to set up power supplies (drivers?) for each re-purposed/re-mounted diode and run it all to the main power source in the single unified case (no idea how or what). I would also need to do some serious precision mounting across the board (diodes, dichros, mirror mounting, etc.)

If anyone has an idea or has done something similar in the past, please let me know what your thoughts are on something like this.

Hi Ghoffman!

The general answer to your questions are kind-of and yes/yes, but allow me to side-step your questions for a moment as I was once in your shoes.

These devices simply aren't worth the time and effort to re-purpose. The lasers are very weak and TTL modulated, the galvos are very poor performers, the cases too small to combine things, they historically don't have an optical plate to assist with beam alignment, and finally their DMX driver boards are not likely to support multiple lasers, much less ILDA input. The reason people use these devices is either that they are simple for a DMX (only) based dj and they don't need a variance because of their relatively low power output (MPE). What you are suggesting is likely to nullify that from the FDA's perspective. Note that this would not be an issue if its just for personal use.

Working Chauvet Scorpions sell for a decent price on e-Bay. When I made the jump to 'real' laser projectors several years back as you have done recently, I sold my old scorpions and other laser devices that I had accumulated. I then used that money to buy diodes and other laser projector equipment. In retrospect, it was definitely the right thing to do in my case.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Not worthless! Lumia box time!
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

David rather eloquently said what I was thinking. Is it possible? Yes. Is it particularly desirable or worth the effort? Probably not the end result, unless you count the learning experience. It's a lot of time, effort and expense to end up with a low power, TTL modulated box that you could probably purchase new for half the cost of any one of those Chauvet units as they now sit. With no other use, I'd eBay them or, as swami suggests, lumia.

Now... if you can still incorporate them into a show in conjunction with your RGB, then it may be worth hanging on to them. I frequently use a mixture of my Chauvet effects lasers along with the higher watt RGB's and control them wirelessly at key points for a show.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    With no other use, I'd eBay them or, as swami suggests, lumia. .
    Brad, I am not swamidog; he is far more talented.

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

ppppbbbbbtttttt!

(and some chars)
    Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    Brad, I am not swamidog; he is far more talented.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    ppppbbbbbtttttt!

(and some chars)
    edited to try and cover up my gaff
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 02-07-2013 at 17:30.

Well dude... ya are!
    ouch.... that hurt.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

did you see my petroglyph lumia shots?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sandstone-lumia-petro-04.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	36861

Well dude... ya are!
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Oops! I just discovered my mistake. Big ole frickin retardo face right here...

I don't even want to go through and explain how I managed to screw than one up.... I meant to say "sugeek" in post number 4 and then... didn't even pay attention that it was was sugeek that replied... I was thinking it was Ghoffman.

Holy crap... SORRY! I'll just go away now.