Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ozmg puppies and unicorns and stuff ozmg i may die pressed wrong button again!

Default Ozmg puppies and unicorns and stuff ozmg i may die pressed wrong button again!

well not completly, i was messing with the show from LSX to give it encryption. i opened it after adding a password, then it asked for the password but ive set it to allow to play the file without password and it didnt want to open.
    I accedently saved after that, resulting in LSX saving a empty show on top of the show i was trying to open.

Fix that bug andrew. i lost lost a FUCKING 20 HOURS of programming on work i was prouid of.
    now i only have the freaking video and nothing else.

Fuck this shit.

Edit: tears and anger on me now.
    My save button addiction and lsx overwriting my locked show when failed to open.
    20 fucking hours of work. My best show ever.
    Last edited by borgqueenx; 11-15-2013 at 14:03.
    You are unique! Just like everyone else...
    Mum: What do you want for breakfast? Me: Lasers Ofcource!

Isolate that disk partition. Do not allow anything to write to it.

Then ask for details of file header for the file LSX saves when it has user data in it. Plus anything else that might identify it. Do you know how big it was? If under 32KB there's a good chance a disk editor (try HXD, it's your best shot) will allow you to search for that data and get it back in one piece.

When saving data during a long session, always copy it to another disk. Not just another partition. Another DISK. Make a habit of it, or this will happen to you again, and again, and again.

Edit:
    Also, once you set up for save on some other location, to protect your chances at recovery, see if you can reconstruct any of the show from memory of what you did. Doing this is a good way to recall what really matters. You might make a better show than the one you lost! Do this before memory fades. Many times I have destroyed data because I am a perfectionist, to extreme. Sometimes the frustration and despair after the loss drives me to recall so much from memory, and the process is a great filter too, it might have been harder to cut the crap out of my work if it HAD been kept, than it was to rebuild while I still had enough fresh memory to rebuild it. This method rarely works on work that took days, but it works very well in restoring the loss of a single intensive session, so it might work for you.

It's grim consolation, but remember always that your ability to make a show is worth more than any one show. If you did it, you can do it again.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 11-15-2013 at 14:20.

the show existed out like 100.000 events. i cant replicate all and alot came into existance by failing and trying to keep messing with effects and sliders.
    i wont get back everything easily.
    LSX saved the empty show on the show i have. so how would there be tables of it left...

i am remaking this show while its kinda fresh in memory...at least try to, and making full backups in the future.
    But, andrew(drlava) better fix this.

how fucking dumb is it, to open a file, and because you didnt entered the password it still opens the file but just doesnt show anything. like its a new file.
    and in my scareness and dumbness i overwritten it.
    Last edited by borgqueenx; 11-15-2013 at 14:34.

Do you have to swear in the title of your thread? I realise that you're hacked off because something went wrong. However, I don't see why I should have to stare at your profanities each time i'm looking through new posts etc.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

cant edit topic title, sorry. report the post if you wish.

An empty file overwriting a full file does not write over the data, except the small bit used by header, if any. Also, when saving many times, there may be many orphaned copies of the file. Getting as many as possible may result in a set of data that will restore most or all of the lost work.

About creating, opening, files... File API's are complex, surprisingly so! It's not easy to do it right unless staying with the simplest possible methods. Creative uses of the API's can result in clever file handling, but also in disastrous errors that are unforseen by anyone, including the coder. While it may be a fixable bug, there is no substitute for assuming that the proverbial shit proverbially happens at times. Don't just save, copy the save to another disc, often.

Quote Originally Posted by borgqueenx View Post
    cant edit topic title, sorry. report the post if you wish.
    Sure you can. Click the 'Go Advanced' button while editing the first post. That gets you to extra edit options where you can do it.

great! worked 15mins again remaking the show - this program stopped working!

doctor: topic title can be editted in advanced, but it doesnt show it in the topic list. only when you open the topic you see its editted.

can you tell me how to get back all the saved files exactly?
    the file was like more then 10 megabytes.

So sorry to hear that! I hope it is recoverable.

If not, don't give up. It was great work and sure you'll improve upon it next time.

I have started to save the effects I like in sfx loops - I will certainly make sure I do so more often hearing that this has happened to you. They will come in handy for live shows too, once I get a midi interface.

Good luck with recovery.

Keith

Ok, topic thing MIGHT be a bug, related to what Soulfeast saw when buying ion lasers. Might be worth asking Spec because in this case it is worth fixing manually anyway.

About the data recovery, no, other than what I said. Hopefully some people here will chip in with advice on what hex strings start an LSX saved file. You need to find some unique string to search for. While you wait, Google for the HxD hex editor by Maël Hörz. Under 'tools' it allows you to open a whole disk or partition. WARNING: Do this in Read Only mode! Take that advice the same way you would if told how to handle a grenade. While it won't kill you if you get it wrong, it can kill a lot more data than you just lost. Never open a disk for write access directly. Right now you need to go slow, think carefully, relax as best possible. If you do manage to find some saved LSX data, you might be able to send it to someone else who knows LSX. I don't, so I have no idea how it formats and stores data.

EDIT:
    One thing... this disk-search business can be extremely tedious. If you're unable to find a unique search string at least 16 bytes long, and if your data drive is bigger than about 4GB, then the time taken may be so long that you'll do better to make a new show with that kind of time.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 11-15-2013 at 15:04.