Thread: Fun Reading!

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default Fun Reading!

http://www.amazon.com/Avoid-Huge-Shi...owViewpoints=0

Read the reviews.... Place drink firmly away from keyboard before doing so.

Are there any other Amazon threads like this?

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

not sure if you're looking for this but seems similar: http://www.amazon.com/Funniest-Amazo.../RM0256CJKINZJ

Nice one Steve.

I particularly liked this review quite far down the page:

Book is called How to Avoid Large Ships (for anyone who hasn't followed Steve's link - highly recommended!)

I live near a park and frequently walk around the local area. Given the amount of dog mess that is on the pavements I thought this book would be the ideal read to stop me having to scrape my shoes on the grass before going home. It was only after it arrived that I looked closely at the title and realised it said 'How to Avoid Huge SHIPS'. A simple error that means I am still treading on massive examples of canine excrement. Having said that, I read the book anyway, and I'm pleased to say I'm not even having near misses with huge ships anymore. No sir, they aint getting anywhere near me!

Thank you, Steve.... I have wasted nearly an hour at work reading this while trying to stifle my laughter in the presence of my coworkers. This is a brilliant find, which begs the question.... how in the world did you happen upon this? Are you trying to avoid Huge Ships, Steve?
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

ROFL .. I had to stop after "as a large rock" .. couldn't see thru the tears ..

Oh wow. Awesome! =)
    Will there be three phase!!!!

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote: " Are you trying to avoid Huge Ships, Steve? "

No, actually I like large ships and treat them with respect. Piloting, Seamanship, and Small Boat Handling by Chapman was a favorite book of my childhood. As was USGC Publication 169 1972 COL-REGS , which the USCG station at Governor's Island kindly gave me a copy when we visited NYC on vacation. This was when I was 14 or so. '

See, I asked the Master of the Station Island Ferry one of my usual technical questions. He sighed, shook his head, and promptly pointed out the location of the USCG office on shore. The Port Captain gave me the last copy he had. I had CG-169 memorized (I can see Buffo rolling his eyes now) by the time we made the drive back to Ohio. I was instantly hooked on the idea of being the master of a vessel.

My favorite place to see local Large Ships is on the Cuyahoga River, its a tight squeeze. The 635 foot Ore freighters have to go six miles up the Crooked River to the steel mill. The river ends at the harbor in the attached pic. It is not wise to drink a can of Crooked River Ale before attempting this task, in a Large Ship.... Nor do it without a Tug and Bow Thrusters. Click on the one pic to get the above view of the River's course. This gives a new definition to the term "Driving To Work".

If you watch from the Viaduct, The Diesel Fumes will knock you on your posterior as the ship passes under the Superior Bridge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	american_courage_ore_freighter_0341-300x199.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	39138Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrookedRiverAbove.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	864.4 KB 
ID:	39137

If things were a little different, I could see myself with a All Oceans, Any Tonnage, Master's License, which was a childhood dream. Alas that was not to be. The rules changed and ships no longer needed a licensed radio operator right after I graduated. So there went that, and I went to college. But I will go out of my way to just smell the ocean breeze.

The link came up on a search for a book on Radar Antenna Design. That is how this post started.

Cap'n Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 07-10-2013 at 20:08. Reason: Real men master Dead Reckoning.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

That does look like trying to thread a brick thru the eye of a needle ..