Thread: Going to buy a 20 XDVD burner for the diode

Default Going to buy a 20 XDVD burner for the diode

I'm gonna have to buy and gut a liteon $35 USD DVD burner for the diode unless anyone has any other ideas. I'm going to try to collimate then combine with a 200mW 532 greenie for (hopefully) a yellow/ orange beam. I thought I read here somewhere that some diodes were for sale..?
    Thanx

You can find the diode assemblies on E-bay from time to time, but I've typically paid right at $30 for them when you include shipping. If you can make use of the other parts in the drive (gears, motors, etc) then it might be better for you to purchase the whole drive than just the diode module assembly.

You should be able to get a nice yellow-orange, but you'll need to dial your green back a lot. Even if you can get 200 mw of red (which is doubtful, 120-150 is more realistic) you still will only need 50 to 70 mw of green to mix with it. 200 mw of green will be enough to almost completely overpower the red. (It will look greenish-yellow, not yellow-orange.)

Adam

Thanks Adam,
    I thought that if a 16X writer had 100mW diode, an 18X was around 150 (I think I got that close) then, a 20X would be close to 200? Maybe not. I'm sure It'll take alot of tweaking and experimenting..(which I'm looking forward to.) Any ideas on collimating optics and beam combiners? Dichroic or cube?
    (PS..I've already got the 200mW 532 module, so no worries there)
    Thanx
    Steve

Hi Steveo
    I have traditionally used liteon drives when ive been getting the diodes. I have driven one from a x16 liteon up to 200mW @ around 300mA but this is getting close to the upper limit. I combined it with a 100mW green but backed that off to about 60-70mW to get decent colours. It works a treat.
    You will loose some power with optics but if you select it right you will minimise this.
    hint: take the focus lens off the top of the optical pickup and turn it so the dome shaped side is facing away from your diode. This will focus the beam well - only downside is it will need to be pretty close (1-2mm) from the diode to focus and this makes it quite sensitive to drift from temp. expansion etc. But it will work.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on

Rob

What is the polorisation like on the diodes?

Jim

honest answer is - I haven't a clue.
    I have never thought too much about it though I know I now need to if I wanna get my dual red setup working.

R

Thanks for the info Rob. What color beam did you end up with? I guess the LDs in Lite-ons (or Liteons) (same company?)are pretty good ? I plan on using peltier junction cooling w/ fan. Maybe I can get >250mW?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106055

This is the unit I plan on getting. I have heard that polarization is an issue with beam combining but I too know nothing about this subject..