Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice picking lasershow software for realtime programmatic control?

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Any updates?????????? (<- extra question marks for more characters made completely redundant by this message)

Waiting on my EtherDream....have also gotten a trial version of LSX.

I'm thinking of using a WiiMote camera watching some reflective points, and feeding that data over OSC. Thanks for the analog circuit design offer though, mixedgas :-)

Hopefully this will work...

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

microsoft kinect might also make for an interesting input device.

Quote Originally Posted by 405nm View Post
    Waiting on my EtherDream....have also gotten a trial version of LSX.

I'm thinking of using a WiiMote camera watching some reflective points, and feeding that data over OSC. Thanks for the analog circuit design offer though, mixedgas :-)

Hopefully this will work...
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

It's a pity the LeapMotion has a short working range... that's actually going to be a future project, if I can get my hands on one.

Quote Originally Posted by 405nm View Post
    Hello!

I'm working on a project which involves projecting laser animations onto an object being moved around by a performer. I'll have motion capture markers on the object, and some code which figures out the orientation of the object based on this. But, I'm not sure of the best way to author/control the animations.

Right now, I'm thinking of two approaches:

1) Use the openlase library and hardcode the animations right along with the calculations for deforming them to be projected onto the object. This seems complex.

2) Write a program that does the calculations for deforming the projections, and send commands via OSC or something to a more traditional laser show control software that makes it easier to author the art/animations. Based on my research, LSX seems pretty cool, but I'm not sure what it's external control capabilities are.

My budget's around $1000, so I'm willing to pay out for a more robust solution...would rather invest my time making cool animations here rather than hacking something together on the cheap.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!
    Pangolin LD2000 intro + Pangolin LC-max intro + 3ds max
    Get a good single core cpu computer and toggle on realtime mode in 3ds max .
    3ds max is very flexible and powerfull when it comes to having control through mocap.
    I've done something like this before and it works like a charm.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

pj,

405nm stated his budget was ~1000$. your solution costs 6200$ USD. etherdream + lsx is less than 1/10th of that amount.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    Pangolin LD2000 intro + Pangolin LC-max intro + 3ds max
    Get a good single core cpu computer and toggle on realtime mode in 3ds max .
    3ds max is very flexible and powerfull when it comes to having control through mocap.
    I've done something like this before and it works like a charm.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

hehe even with LSX Pro it's still cheaper than 1000$ so there might be something left in the budget for Kinect

I would put down a +1 for LSX as well. Extremely responsive, realtime expression handling and output, and external control capability. It pretty much nails it on all fronts.

Even with my short time using the software (paired with an Etherdream DAC), I've been more than satisfied with the results and I'm only starting to learn the in's and out's of using the entire software suite.

As an aside, many thanks to colouredmirrorball for his excellent demonstrations and tutorials. Very helpful!