Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yet another non-functional SP-161 argon...

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo
    Cruch:
    Also, I found someone here on the forums (Weak Station) that is pretty familiar with smaller-frame air cooled argon units, and I hope that with his help I'll be able to resurrect at least one of these units. Perhaps we could all learn a little from him - unless you think your unit is completely fried, Zoof...
    Adam
    actually I think my unit can still be fixed but it will need some expert knowledge. If only I knew where to look next but I'm guessing it would be the current control circuit that is fried in mine. Any help is appreciated of course...

Here are some pics

Matthijs

I got tied up last night and forgot to post the details about the remote interlock jumper. I'll try to take care of that this afternoon.

Zoof: your power supply looks identical to one of my newer ones, except that mine is actually a Laser Drive clone of the Spectra-Physics design. The pannel is only slightly different from the original 261 design, though the internals are a bit more different. I'll post some pictures tonight and hopefully Weak Station (David) can offer us both some advice.

Adam

Ok Zoof, I finally got around to checking the remote pins on my 263 PSU. If you look at this picture in the gallery, you'll see that the first jumper is positioned on the third row of pins down from the top, and it connects the 3rd and 4th pins counting from the left to the right. (Basically the middle two pins in that row) Note that the first two pin slots in row three are EMPTY on my unit... There are holes where pins could be installed, but there are no pins there. (So I guess you could say the jumper is actually installed on the first set of physical pins in that row, even though they are in the middle position. Am I making things worse with this description?) Eh - look at the picture and it will be obvious...

The second jumper is on the bottom row of pins, and it connects the 3rd and 4th pins - again when counting from the left to the right. (Basically the last two pins in that row.)

And, Again... On my PSU, both of these rows only have a total of 4 pins installed. The last row can only have a maximum of 4 pins, but that 3rd row could have as many as 6 pins - but the first two holes are empty.

Here is another picture that shows the remote connector from a different angle. Hopefully between the two pics you should have no trouble getting the jumpers correct.

I also posted a picture of the front of a Spectra-Physics 261B PSU, as compared to a Laser Drive 9600 PSU, which I mentioned earlier. Your unit looks just like the LD 9600 unit that I have...

Later this weekend I'll take some more pictures of the internals of these units. I'm hoping to get my 261B running again.

Adam

yup , the bummer with these things is the lack of documentation :-(

Each type of laser I acquire I have to scrounge the net and find bits and pieces and do the rest for myself.

If it were an Omni 150 , I could talk you through it right here :-)

I recently acquired an Omni 170B and Wow , I have to do it all over again , no doc's and it is crammed in there ! My first step is figuring out the DB-25 pinout and going from there

Once figured , hopefully I can get it posted to Sam's .

Adam , you as I said before "might" be lucky is as much as it only being a micro fuse and hopefully seeing your pics of the innards will referesh my memory on that PSU I've only had a glimpse of in the distant past !

Dave

OK,
    I have a 161B and 261B
    When i flip the key I can see the filment glow down the bore,
    but thats it,I dont here a strike or anything???
    Any help here?

Cool

Could be an interlock problem or an ignitor problem. What do the 4 green lights on the PSU say? When you power it up, the standby and interlock lights should come on. Then after a 30 second delay, the lasing and regulation lights should come on. (Do you have the remote connected? Or at least, did you short the interlock pins on the remote connector?)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Could be an interlock problem or an ignitor problem. What do the 4 green lights on the PSU say? When you power it up, the standby and interlock lights should come on. Then after a 30 second delay, the lasing and regulation lights should come on. (Do you have the remote connected? Or at least, did you short the interlock pins on the remote connector?)

Adam

OK,
    Interlock pins shorted.
    all lights on except lasing,the regulation light is on. I can turn the output adjust to all most max than the light goes out.When i flip the key switch i hear only one relay activate I see another relay behind the control panel,I have not seen that one activate?

Cool

Are you sure the tube is good? Sounds like it won't light. Of course, it could be that there is something wrong with the ignition circuit too. (You sure you can't hear even the faintest "tick"? If not, then I'd start looking at the ignitor.) But everything else sounds right, based on your last post.

Adam

Nope not even a click of any sort.
    I inspected the igniter in the head looks good,cute little arc gap in there!
    it must be in the supply not giving the igniter its pulse?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lasernerd View Post
    Nope not even a click of any sort.
    OK - then yeah, it sounds like you've got a problem with the ignitor circuit (either in the head, or more likely in the PSU).
    it must be in the supply not giving the igniter its pulse?
    Yup. Unfortunately, I don't have schematics for that PSU. You might be able to get some help from "Weak_Station"; he logs in from time to time and is pretty familar with those small argon PSU's. Sam's Laser FAQ might have some useful info as well. But apart from that, you're probably going to be stuck troubleshooting it blind...

Adam