Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pallette Training

Good thinking but it can't be that because if the FB3 isn't attached then you have no access to any of the projector settings including colour controls as the menus become hidden.

I suspect this may be an installation issue or something to do with the hardware.

You're not using a TTL laser are you by any chance? I see the analogue button is pressed but I'm wondering if the laser could be detected as TTL.

Ah yes, I've just seen that Things edited out the serial number on his screenshot.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Hi Things,

The 6-channel mode (which admittedly can be used to drive fewer than six channels) only works with hardware that has six color channel outputs. The FB3-QS has six color channels and can scan at up to 120K. The FB3-SE and XE only have three color channels and can only scan at up to 30K.

Bill

Are there any plans to change that Bill, as I use a mixture of FB3 types and might wish to palette tune all if them?
    Frikkin Lasers

Hi Norty and Things,

In fact we did a bit of work in this area and now this Advanced Color Mode will be available with all FB3 models -- even those with only 3 color channels.

Just contact me for the update, and thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Bill

Ah, that makes sense, I have the SE. Excellent

Thanks for turning that around so quickly.
    Now for that tutorial video

Last edited by norty303; 03-31-2013 at 05:26.
    Frikkin Lasers

Works, nice!

Now I just need to figure out what I'm doing in it

Do you have any basic steps on what you did to fine tune it White-Light? Like what pattern you used to start off etc?

Dan

I was told by Bill to use the pattern I posted above, ie the one with the 10 circles between 2 horizontal lines when using the curves.

I also flicked between various graphic cues and some difficult to reproduce atmospheric cues to verify colour accuracy, especially when setting the fixed colours down the left hand side.

I also added another fixed colour "Orange" to my palette as I felt that it wasn't being reproduced as accurately as I would have liked and that another fixed intermediate point would help out there.

My advice with a 3 colour laser is (this isn't necessarily correct, just how I did it):

1. Turn off the extra 3 colour bars by clicking them at the bottom.

2. Click on each fixed colour in turn to select it and then adjust for those fixed colours using the sliders and workspace cues or by clicking the "recolour Cue" at the bottom left hand corner which colours any cue or test pattern the same as the current adjustment colour. Red, Green, Blue are easy - in turn, turn each of those ones on and everything else off with the sliders, unless of course you want a shade different to your native shade. For the intermediate fixed colours, its down to your eye / preference as for white, yellow, magenta and cyan. I also did orange. Adjust the sliders until the colour matches what your eye perceives it should be.

3. To add additional fixed colours, right click over the bar area and select add. Adjust as before.

4. Check everything for correctness against both patterns and cues. If satisfied then fine tune using the next step, but SAVE your profile 1st in case you upset everything.

5. Now its time to use curves. Difficult to discuss here as I don't want to disclose what these affect as I'm not sure its in the public domain. However, have a play. Each end point affects something as do the intermediate points. You can choose how many points you want on the graph. Some points will move together as there are rules. As soon as you figure all of this out (I actually suggest you perhaps play before doing steps 1-4 as you don't want to ruin your current profile), then it will start to make sense.

Adjust for curves using the 10 circles & 2 line pattern to try to get 10 grey circles in a fade as shown in the pattern. Also, when you think you have it right, recheck against primary coloured cues and also complex subtle cues especially pastels as these are most likely to be thrown out or be the wrong shade.

Good luck!
    Last edited by White-Light; 04-03-2013 at 05:01. Reason: Edited to add extra explanations

Thought I'd add a list of cues I found helpful for adjustment / checking (all from the standard QS workspace):

Animals > P (Pterodactyl) - yellow

Animals > N (Elephant) - subtle pink mix

Animals > G (Deer) - pinky red

Animals > F (Salmon) - overall balance - pink / orangey beige with fades + green spots on flank if rendered properly

Animals > r (Gecko) - overall balance - orange to green colour fade

Animals > H (pegasus) - overall balance - red through white to yellow green fade

Animals > I (dog) - overall balance - orange, brown (ears, eyes, nose) and red collar

Animals > W (flamingo) - bright pink

People > Q (Pink Panther) - pink / overall check as should see pink, white, cyan, blue, red, yellow, grey

People > S (tin tin) - overall check for differences between orange, brown, pink, salmon in face, cyan eyes and blue and white in shirt

People > P (Mr Maggoo) - overall check for subtle skin tones

People > L (WC Fields) - overall check for many colours as contains many subtle colours in face area and hands difficult to reproduce accurately

People > K (Goofy) - same as L above

Atmos > Sheets > W (Cue 02) - subtle cream colour in folding sheet

Atmos > Sheets > D (Cue 23) - Yellow check

Atmos > Sheets > S (Cue 22) - Overall - difficult to reproduce orange shades running through white sheet

Atmos > Sheets > q (Cue 11) - Check for individual colours

Atmos > Sheets > w (Cue 12) - Check for Blue to Purple fade

Atmos > Sheets > E (Cue 03) - Check for Green and White

Atmos > Sheets > J (Cue 27) - Check for subtle hard to reproduce shades

Atmos > Sheets > U ( Cue 07) - Check for subtle hard to reproduce green greys running through white sheet

Atmos > Sheets > o (Cue 19) - Check for subtle hard to reproduce shades

Atmos > Sheets > i (Cue 18) - Check for multiple base colours (suggest using pause)

Atmos > Sheet > k (Cue 38) - Check for subtle shades of pinky purple

Atmos > Sheets > g (Cue 35) - Check for subtle shades of green

Atmos > Sheets > s (Cue 32) - Check for subtle reproduction of purple, blue and white in 1 sheet

Atmos > Sheets > T (Cue 05) - Check for ability to reproduce base colours with black fades

Atmos > Sheets > L (Cue 29) - Check for subtle pinky beige colour in white fence

As you can see, I used a lot of cues and did a lot of checks!!!