Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eye-Magic EMS-7000 Scanners from CT Lasers

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Will do. I'm not saying there is anything inherently wrong with the Eye Magics (aside from the customs delays that made getting the revison back a slightly more than three month process). I'm anxious to really try them side by side against some others.

I'm more pointing out that in a "real world, put two projectors on a table side by side", and run intense graphics/abstract shows from about 50 feet away, with the projection being about 12 feet by 12 feet square, I honestly see negligible difference in the image quality between my DT40wides and CT 6215's. At least not $1,000+ difference. Sort of like one Ferrari able to do 230 miles an hour but, for $50,000 more you can do 234 mph. We can do that at SELEM too if you want. (The projector test...regrettably not the Ferrari test. )

What Jon seemed to insinuate is that I should be expecting "rock star" performance increases with the Eye Magics versus the chinese DT's and, in my experience thus far, I just haven't seen it between DT's and Cambridge which, is supposed to be the creme de la creme. Jon projects hundreds of yards and uses a lot more power so, I can see him feeling that way. I just don't know that for most people purposes it's worth an extra grand.

Also, you might try a comparison with just a single color. This is not a practical comparison, but I wonder if the differing modulation performance between the DPSS lasers and the diodes might mask some of the difference between the scanners.

Well... they arrived today. First observation is... I can't just replace them in the projector.

What has been returned in the box appears to be another driver board - that actually looks like it's seen better days. They look "worn". With hot melt glue, dust and smudges, and scratches on the metal mounting bracket. The label says Model EMA 2000. The mounting slots don't mate up to the previous holes I drilled and tapped so, now I have to take the projector apart to drill and tap a couple new holes to put them back in the projector. They are certainly not "mine" that I sent back.

AND... now I have to rewire because in order to put them back in the case where they were, the have to be oriented differently and the power and signal leads aren't long enough.

Insert Sweet Brown here -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh7UgAprdpM

Wait a minute..... some of the rant retracted!

I just went back to look at pictures of the build and I oriented them differently that I thought I did. I don't have to break out the tools just yet. Phew!

Back together. I just need to double check X and Y.

Heya Cap' -

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Well... What has been returned in the box appears to be another driver board....hot melt glue...on the metal mounting bracket. The label says Model EMA 2000. The mounting slots don't mate up...certainly not "mine" that I sent back.
    Crikey! That's not good! Do the 'amps' look more like this one... http://www.onestoplasershop.com/images/ema-1900.jpg ? Lemme know.. I have not had a chance to get into the shop / mail, yet today, so.. If there's some 'different-amp swappage / wierdness', by EMS happening on this, I will deffo join you with the bullhorn in the picket-line..
    ...Hopefully, that was just a 'state-side mating / shipping error', albeit, neither-cool... :[ Lemme know...

RE:

...in a "real world, put two projectors on a table side by side", and run intense graphics/abstract shows from about 50 feet away, with the projection being about 12 feet by 12 feet square, I honestly see negligible difference...
    ..and, under that set of 'parameters', you might not... try this: Project the same shows, from 20' - or, closer-still - at 12 x 12... or, bigger! Go to 20' x 20', @ 20' and see how they do.. Your scan-angle in the 12 x 12 x 50-setup is rather 'nice to baby'...

..Sure - perhaps you don't ever 'need to', but my-comments are simply born out of a different-set of (rather punishing..) 'real world' params.. Very-often, we have no-choice, but to, ie: project some over-designed Corp-logo, that- in spite of the very-best 'simplification', the Client will only-allow so much 'detail' to go bye-bye, and - we've got to project some silly-stupid 4200-point logo, 20' H, from 20' away, or something insane... (!) Yes, 'try: use two-projectors / break-up the logo', blah, blah, etc- fully-aware of that, but not always possible - Point-being - sometimes, you just need 'hard-core rock star performance' from *a* pair of galvos, and, as you illustrated, with the Ferrari-example, perhaps the extra-cost might not get you, ie: 2x the performance.. but, perhaps, that 'extra G for CTs / EMS', will mean the difference between 'pass and fail', for a certain-job.. 'only an extra 34 MPH' is still gonna take the checkered-flag, ya?

Also, just as a small-aside, 'power-handling' has little to-do with galvo-selection, at least in terms-of 'inherent-capability'.. You can, indeed, get custom-mirs that will handle a nuke-ton of power, and slap them on a pair of Chivos - then they won't 'melt'.. ..But of course, when you pay 10x the galvo-cost for those mirs, well.. there goes the 'value-preposition'.. I, personally, would never 'trust' 25W of anything on a pair of Chivos... only CTs, or... in that-case - because they just won't 'flat-line / straight-beam' if driven too-large / hard, like CTs can - I'd use EMS.. But, that's only / just the opin / experience of one loco gringo, fwiw..

...seemed to insinuate is that I should be expecting "rock star" performance increases with the Eye Magics versus the chinese DT's and, in my experience thus far, I just haven't seen it...I just don't know that for most people purposes it's worth an extra grand.
    Sure, and, every-one has to analyze their set of 'real-world parameters', and measure those against the cost / performance / longevity / 'bankability' (reliability under 'risk-laden' circumstances - would you 'bank' a large, hi-profile or hi-dollar show on them, in-front of 30K people, or some 'VIP', etc, etc..) -ratio - what I am always referring to as, 'the value preposition'..

..So, perhaps, for your / many peeps-set of parameters / value-preposition, it might not make much, uh.. cents.. But, when you're needing to 'push the envelope', with either a high 'bankability-risk' sho, or, 'go HUGE' / with a ton of important-detail, etc, sometimes, that's where you see that 'extra 34 MPH' / rock-star come-out.. At-least, with DTs, CTs and EMS, LMNOP.. you're 'covered' for all-eventualities..

Dos-cientos centavos...
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 05-03-2013 at 13:01. Reason: sp, doh
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

so... basically, you're just posting a status to say you'll post a status when you have a status?

Back together. I just need to double check X and Y.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    since I am *assuming* that a 'Saturn V' (iirc?) paired with a CT-dual amp is not 'realizing the full-potential, possible'... ..otherwise, as the Red Hot Chili Peppers once infamously taunted Michael Stipe.. '...what's all the hype??'

ciao
    j
    That's my understanding from Bill, the reason why they haven't posted the maximum speed is they don't yet know it yet as CT amps aren't capable of driving the new scanners to their limits.

That said, they have been designed to fit into CT blocks when bought in OEM format and I believe they will run off CT amps, so you can use them with non pango amps but you're just not opening up their full potential.

At leasts that's my understanding.

@ Swami... sumpthin' like that

@ Jon - Which is why I did specifically acknowledge that your particular needs are greater than many. As you said, my parameters are different... as may be many people on here. I'm just saying that in MY personal experience the statement that:

"The EMS 7Ks offer similar 'rockstar-upgrade-feel', especially from Chivos.. Once you get them running some graphics shows - and, I'd suspect even more-so under the 'buttery-smooth' hand of Beyond - you'll 'see the joy'..."

may not hold true. I'm not expecting to see "vastly" better performance, when I don't see it as compared to CT's. That's all. Not being "confrontational".