Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eye-Magic EMS-7000 Scanners from CT Lasers

first generation ems7000: please send back scanners to greece for update to design.

first generation ems4000: please send scanners back to greece for repairs to faulty rotors.

ct scanners : install them and move on to next project.

whos got time to monkey wrench?

nuff said
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

Quote Originally Posted by carlos3621 View Post
    first generation ems7000...

first generation ems4000...
    ..it was the magnet coating (nickel) not the shafts.. Once they moved to the teflon-coating, zero-more issues.. And ya gotta remember - CT is quite a bit 'older' than EMS.. I am sure CT's first-few years / 'gens' had similar-hiccups, after they had been out in the field / beat to a pulp by us light-show guys (vs some 'constant-velocity scanning app' like medical-something, etc..) we jerk the hell out of galvos, it's amazing they do what we ask them to do even once.

To each, his own. I'm just glad we have multiple - 'bankable' - options..
    ciao
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

My problem is that based on the time to market so far and the beta condition of Beyond for so long, I really have no idea when a useable P. scanner product will be available. I would not be surprised if it was more than a year from now (hope I'm wrong). CT does not promote it's scanners to the display market. Their applications information barely touches on this. Their selection guide is pretty broad and so can someone who has looked at these recently provide a recommendation to some galvo model choices and the performance/cost trade off? Given compatible performance how much more will these cost than the EMS 7000's with the same aperture mirrors?

Heya Sire -

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    ...so can someone who has looked at these recently provide a recommendation to some galvo model choices and the performance/cost trade off? Given compatible performance how much more will these cost than the EMS 7000's with the same aperture mirrors?
    First, some 'clarifying-questions':

- What is the 'ratio' of graphics-heavy shows to abstracts you are shooting to buy-for? And, if highly graphics-heavy, are we talking 'standard' Pango / Beyond-library stuff, or anything 'exotic' (Digisynth-content, etc..)
    - What is your beam-size / ideal clear-aperture?
    - Will these be supporting any 'for-pay' shows of any significant dollar-value (risk / 'bankability-assessment' question

j

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

The newest thing I've discovered with the returned EMS7000's is, I can't get blanking lines to disappear. They weren't there before shipping back to Greece. I'm sure it's something weird on my part but, this projector hasn't moved since a simple unplugging the of the amps and slipping motors out of the galvo block back in January. Put her back together and now blanking lines on everything.

I've got back to back events going on today but, I'll try and get a picture at some point.

Jon,

No high value (paid shows), 5mm, true, un-trimmed aperture is ideal as the 4.5mm now slightly limits. And best, is in terms of smoothness/speed allowing min. flicker @ up to no more than 45 degrees optical scan angle. Only running Pango.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

that sounds more like a software configuration issue than something specific to the galvo repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    The newest thing I've discovered with the returned EMS7000's is, I can't get blanking lines to disappear. They weren't there before shipping back to Greece. I'm sure it's something weird on my part but, this projector hasn't moved since a simple unplugging the of the amps and slipping motors out of the galvo block back in January. Put her back together and now blanking lines on everything.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

As I said, could be on my end. I was just throwing up a test pattern with Quickshow and an FB3. Haven't had time to investigate further.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    ...could be on my end.
    Please allow me to allay your fears and venture, most-definitely, it's something in-wiring / signal-path / broked-ground, etc - Only time it would be 'the galvos', is if you had a 3-galvo mechanical-blanking set-up, and the 'blanker' was powered, but signal-dead, etc.. but if this is digitally-modulated, 't'ain't the motors, Capt'n! So, breathe easy, you're in the best place in the world to have a 'pj-breakdown', if it's anything really-wonky..

Sire EM -

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    ...5mm, true, un-trimmed aperture is ideal as the 4.5mm now slightly limits. And best, is in terms of smoothness/speed allowing min. flicker @ up to no more than 45 degrees optical scan angle. Only running Pango.
    Well, in that-case, I'd say the EMS 7Ks will be a win, over CT 6215Hs, with the larger mirs. I have personally-observed that the EMS 7Ks, will-indeed, kick the pants off a set of CT 6215Hs, simply because your only CT-option for that-big a beam, are 6mm-ap. mirs. (vs the 7Ks' 5mm CA..) which is quite a bit-bigger mir / mount, than the 7Ks - so, it's almost not a 'fair fight'...

..6215Hs, with 6mm-ap. mirs are only 'rated' to ~24K, whereas - even with the 'hotly-debated variance' over the 60K rating for the 5mm 7Ks - could fairly be-said to do at least a solid 45-50K, so.. 'better rating' than the CTs with the mondo-mirs..

Also, the 'value-proposition' - that CT-set / amps / block, etc, (new..) will run you about $2200., vs about $1500. for the EMS 7Ks, so... Additional-things in-favor of the CTs, tho, are a) longer 'proven performance' track-record, and b) you *know* you can get even 110% of your beam thru the mirs - no-worries about loss, there.. albeit, at the sacrifice of a 'twinge' of speed-loss..

However, in your 'test-parameters', of 45˚-optical angle, max (..size of the room / throw, I am guessing.. any-difference might be nary-seen, anyway, save-for if you were running some hardcore Raster-content, or, perhaps ie: the 'spiral-raster' option thru LaserCam, etc...

..All in all, I'd opin - for You / your-situ - it's down to the $$, in this 'bout'... Too, it's likely you could try the 7Ks, and as long as they could go-back in 'pristine-condition', if you weren't thrilled with them, you could likely get '30 Days return' on them... I'd 'vouch for ya', if you wanted to try..

j