Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crystals as "grating" effect

Default Crystals as "grating" effect

hey

i dont know if it is the right sub-forum to post this but hopefully i am right

for some time now i have had the idea to use Swarovski crystals as a "grating effect" for a laser and now i have finally made som test with it

i have bought 10 of these http://www.ebay.de/itm/8-Swarovski-6...item20b5bdc868

and placed them in a ring that is made out of mounting tread for PCBs the result is this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1259.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	37576

and here some test videos of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNfOTSFnK9U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zfyydtD2Gw

i think that is works okey.

i am thinking that the final "grating" should be many crystals that is set on a line/tread and then lie them side by side so you get a flat surface you can projekt on to.

but let me hear want you think, pros/cons, possible alterations ??

-Bjarne

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

that's pretty. you should try it with an rgb laser.

Quote Originally Posted by BWS View Post
    hey

i dont know if it is the right sub-forum to post this but hopefully i am right

for some time now i have had the idea to use Swarovski crystals as a "grating effect" for a laser and now i have finally made som test with it

i have bought 10 of these http://www.ebay.de/itm/8-Swarovski-6...item20b5bdc868

and placed them in a ring that is made out of mounting tread for PCBs the result is this

Name:	IMG_1259.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	37576

and here some test videos of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNfOTSFnK9U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zfyydtD2Gw

i think that is works okey.

i am thinking that the final "grating" should be many crystals that is set on a line/tread and then lie them side by side so you get a flat surface you can projekt on to.

but let me hear want you think, pros/cons, possible alterations ??

-Bjarne
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I have hosted Intergalactic's Bead and Jewelry Show (out of Georgia) here at my hall a few times and last time they were here, I spent the weekend running around from vendor booth to vendor booth with a laser pointer doing exactly the same thing with a number of crystals. A lot of them were duds but I did find and buy a few with some really interesting patterns. Like you, I've really only looked at them with green but Swami makes a good point about hitting them with an RGB. I'd like to eventually put them on the end of some sort or rotating spindle bit there is this little enemy I have called, "time".

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    that's pretty. you should try it with an rgb laser.
    yeah unfortunately i dont have RGB laser at the moment but i should be like when you shot into a grating where the colors of the white beam seperates because of Snell's law, the phase shifiting should take care of this, like a prism.

You can get some interesting effects by gluing flat-back Swarovski crystals, of various size/facets, to a mirror or disc. Spin this at lower speeds on a gearmotor, then play around with a lens to spread the beam across the crystals. The wheel can be tiny, so the cost isn't very much.

Greg
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Displaser View Post
    You can get some interesting effects by...
    ..Also, try - Get yerself a larger 'classic diamond-cut' xtal, and, set up a simple, adjustable z-axis rig, where you can shoot the beam into a 'plano-convex' lens, with a short Fl, then, when it 'blooms' back out, shoot that into the, um, 'kiester' (bottom of the xtal, and by varying the 'focal-length', you can make some amazing 'flame / flower' fx.. then add color-cycling... then, -slowly-scan tiny-abstracts thru it- / overlay other scanned fx..

Name:	DSC02208.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	37577 Photo Credit: © 2011 B. Wirthlin..

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Awesome effect. I wonder what a cheap CZ would do?
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

I'd glue a clear glass bead outside a tube, dip it in optical bonding glue of some sort (maybe clear UV curing resin) and then dip it in such crystals (small enough) and solidify

then you can rotate the effect from the center inside and get a repeatable and stable effect

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Awesome effect. I wonder what a cheap CZ would do?
    CZ ?

Quote Originally Posted by shrad View Post
    I'd glue a clear glass bead outside a tube, dip it in optical bonding glue of some sort (maybe clear UV curing resin) and then dip it in such crystals (small enough) and solidify

then you can rotate the effect from the center inside and get a repeatable and stable effect
    that is pretty good idea, but where do you think i can buy optical bonding glue in europe ? maybe something like this perhaps ? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optical-Clea...1&sr=8-2-fkmr2

I love experimenting with this type of stuff... Just do what you think looks good... There's no wrong way to do laser effects as long as safety is maintained..

Have Fun,
    Mark