Thread: Stupid spam bots

Default Stupid spam bots

Just a thought for those Spam bots...

is there any way to maket the first link in the 'validation' email that gets sent out when you create an account one that says "please click if you DON'T want an account", and then make the second link one that actually activates the account ?

That way stupid spam bots that presumably "click" everything in the validation email will be fooled into deleting the account...
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

:idea:

Looks good on paper... but there's gotta be a flaw somewhere. :roll:
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Default Re: Stupid spam bots

Quote Originally Posted by aijii
    Just a thought for those Spam bots...

is there any way to maket the first link in the 'validation' email that gets sent out when you create an account one that says "please click if you DON'T want an account", and then make the second link one that actually activates the account ?

That way stupid spam bots that presumably "click" everything in the validation email will be fooled into deleting the account...
    They don't click everything in the email, all they look for is the SID(session ID) header then they HTTP_POST it to the forum software directly. Regardless of what I change: that *unique* session id still has to be there for legitimate users to sign up, and thats all they want.

Want to know something that will really blow your mind? There are some spambots that bypass the SID entirely and get the verification from the COPPA system built into the forum that I cant legally remove. You can thank the US lawmakers for this one!

Ive tried a dozen different things and the only one that works 100 percent of the time is hand deleting the posts, scrapping the accounts, adding the domain they registered from to a block list, then add keyword blocks. However the keyword blocks are useless as they dont check links. Go figure.

There is another option: And I am working on it right now. You should see the "results" in about a weeks time.

Cool! Even if it isn't 100% you're still the man!

Default Re: Stupid spam bots

Quote Originally Posted by Spec
    There is another option: And I am working on it right now. You should see the "results" in about a weeks time.
    Coooooooool! I can't wait!

Adam