Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob help with ILDA cable

Default Noob help with ILDA cable

Probably a stupid question, but if I wanted two satellite projectors to display mirror images on the X axis, could i just swap the wires on pins 1 and 14 of the ILDA cable linking the two? Have tried inverting the X axis on the projector itself but the moment you plug in the ILDA cable the settings are overridden!

Swapping those 2 should work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by taggalucci View Post
    Swapping those 2 should work fine.
    Many thanks taggalucci, it made sense that it would, but thought I had better ask before breaking out the soldering iron!!

Problem! Manged to cut the plastic enclosure from the connector, but there is no way I am getting at the individual wires (big lump of hot glue in a welded enclosure!). Can anyone point me in the direction of a company that makes cables with accessible wires?

You would be better to change the projector as you tried - what you are probably doing is just changing the settings for the internal (sound to light/dmx) board. What would be better is to either swap the signal leads going into the X scanner amp or many scanner drivers have a jumper on them that will invert the output of that driver. Either of these will be doing the same as your ILDA lead pin swap.
    Another alternative so you dont make a mess of a standard lead would be to make a short 25 way male to 25 way female adaptor with the X signals swapped round.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Many thanks for the reply Rob, will head to Maplins in the morning to see if I can find the necessary parts to make another lead. One of the projectors green diodes has dulled so is going back (under warranty), so not going to open the case on that until it comes back. Really appreciate the words of wisdom, and when returned think I will open her up and swap the scanner amp signal leads.

On another note, are you still producing projectors? If so, I will need to speak with you later this year!!

Happy Easter

John

Looks like there's nothing great in DB25 at Maplins any more in my opinion, I just browsed the online catalogue. Just 1 connector and it looks pretty unremarkeable.

Kvant sell a 2M ILDA cable for £22 + VAT.

Not the cheapest but they usually are top quality with metal plugs (I think the pics here are old ones as mine was nothing like this):

http://www.synchrovision.co.uk/produ...cable-2-metres

You could try desoldering the 2 pins you need to swap and swapping them around. Probably need a solder sucker and some skills to do it though as the wires are quite tightly packed from what I saw in my Db25.

Do as Rob (stanwax) suggests and invert the jumper on the scanner amp. That's the easiest (coming from a blue peter expert)

Will check Maplin this morning and see, if not those KVANY leads look like the internals are quite accessible so may be an option (many thanks White-Light). Really don't want to open the projector until i have it repaired/replaced as I know what a bitch they will be regarding the warranty! Should be this week, so will keep you informed.

Thanks again for you all taking the time to help me, this is a nice place to be!!

I've had mine apart so provided its the same what I can tell you about it is they are metal plugs that come apart easily.

Inside the connections are soldered and also heat shrunk tubed. They're also held tightly together with a cable tie.

Obviously this gives a bit to do regarding the tubing and soldering and considering the gaps between contacts isn't great, its going to be tricky. I chose not to attempt it when I thought about modding my cable but for anyone prepared to take the time and who has good soldering skills, it should be doable.

The only other thing you could do would be to ask Martin @ Synchrovision if he could obtain a spare Kvant DB25 plug and then you could cut the old one off and start from scratch at that end. However, this assumes that Kvant make these up in house rather than have them made up and bought in whole.

I looked for DB25 connectors for a while but couldn't find anything of Kvant quality. Not saying they're not out there, just that they aren't easy to find.