Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3D laser shows are real!

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    I haven't read up on the history of the Lovely Rita Hologram but, that had to have been done with ruby or other pulsed source, right? I mean, otherwise you'd have too much entropy.
    I'm pretty sure Lovely Rita was done with a CW HeNe. I know Eidetic has some info in his collection about the artist...

I seem to remember that the disc is split up into over 1000 "slices", where each one is an exposure of the model as she was rotated on a platform. As the model turned, so did the disc, so each exposure captures a slightly different view.

Holography is all about long coherence length, but there are several different lasers that fit the bill.

Adam

It was shot with a 35mm film camera looking down at her at 45 degrees. Her on a turntable synched to get 3 frames per degree. A transmission hologram was made of pie shaped wedges, one per frame. That hologram was reconstructed and a transfer reflection hologram was made of that. I worked on a full-color method to make them, but the company was bought and went into embossed hologram production instead, in the late '80s. There's another one on Ebay right now, damaged and cheap, from the same seller as the last one.
    Last edited by Eidetic; 05-13-2019 at 19:54.

Now, that's actually amazing!

By the way, my cousin George has a few muttluk boots for sale. If anyone's interested, feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by KennethReader; 05-21-2019 at 13:03.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Reminds me of when I built my first tesla coil. Pictures don't convey noise! Indeed, true holograms are still have such a long way to go. It's a really cool concept but I'd wager that we are going to need the Krell's Plastic Educator to get the holograms we're after. Watch out for monsters from the id!
    When was your first Tesla coil? Mine was for my 6th grade science fair. Only a 250KV but the spark gap was really loud. Dr Morphious had a bigger one! The sound effects on Forbidden Planet were way ahead of their time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vger View Post
    When was your first Tesla coil? Mine was for my 6th grade science fair. Only a 250KV but the spark gap was really loud. Dr Morphious had a bigger one! The sound effects on Forbidden Planet were way ahead of their time.
    My first tesla coil was in 7th grade. I doubt it was more than 50kv. It was a 1" coil and used a single 500pf cap and a 6 spark plugs for the spark gap. I think I got 2" sparks to ground. Lol

Agreed about Forbidden Planet. The music and sound were amazing. It's my all-time favorite Sci-fi flick. Lol, Leslie Nielsen before he turned comedy!