Page 72 of 82 FirstFirst ... 62686970717273747576 ... LastLast

Thread: post your eye melty abstracts here

How about making laser shows profitable so Artists can afford the tools? Just sayin...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Great stuff, just wish the price would drop on digisynth since last I check the product was no longer being developed. Has this changed?
    There have been projects behind the scenes that it has been rolled into, and discussion of future possibilities is frequent, but often overshadowed by actual paying work. Lots of work went into getting DigiSynth to where it is, and it's a small price to pay for really great abstracts. It was never intended to be priced at a hobbyist level. I spoke with Matt regarding this just yesterday and there is still hope for the sake of the art, but again, tough to commit the time.

Those who use DigiSynth well know it's value. I've more than made up for the cost over the years. Sometimes the right tools require the right projects and the right projects require the right tools.

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i don't disagree with this and your shows are more than amazing, but i would love to spend some hands on time one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserchuck View Post
    There have been projects behind the scenes that it has been rolled into, and discussion of future possibilities is frequent, but often overshadowed by actual paying work. Lots of work went into getting DigiSynth to where it is, and it's a small price to pay for really great abstracts. It was never intended to be priced at a hobbyist level. I spoke with Matt regarding this just yesterday and there is still hope for the sake of the art, but again, tough to commit the time.

Those who use DigiSynth well know it's value. I've more than made up for the cost over the years. Sometimes the right tools require the right projects and the right projects require the right tools.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    How about making laser shows profitable so Artists can afford the tools? Just sayin...
    Many years ago I had a potential client with a very high-end project. He talked big about the high profile client in Vegas, bragging about how many millions they spent on the system years earlier, then balked at the price I quoted him using former Disney animators to do a really great job. He cited previous work of another guy who would do just about anything for $500 and said I was way off mark at ~$50k, but I had also confirmed with AVI that they would charge similar for the job. Just like a precision machine shop doesn't buy their mills from Harbor Freight, you don't get Avatar quality movies by shooting them on your cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    i don't disagree with this and your shows are more than amazing, but i would love to spend some hands on time one of these days.
    Thanks man! Some days I wish I hadn't stepped away as much as I have, but I always end up feeding my major vices of living indoors and eating. I've seen some truly inspiring work from others and have been building up the studio again to do more. Hopefully I'll find some time to share with the class. I also keep missing these meetups.

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

if you could make it to SELEM one of these days...

Thanks man! Some days I wish I hadn't stepped away as much as I have, but I always end up feeding my major vices of living indoors and eating. I've seen some truly inspiring work from others and have been building up the studio again to do more. Hopefully I'll find some time to share with the class. I also keep missing these meetups.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by clickamouse View Post
    Excellent! Please shoot some video!

...Mike
    Hi Mike, I tried, but it's been so long since I've uploaded anything to YouTube that apparently you need a damn degree to upload a video these days. I'm about done fighting with it for the moment. #youkidsgetoffmylawn

Ok, I figured it out, but will take a while and I'm headed out for the rest of the year.
    Last edited by Laserchuck; 12-31-2016 at 16:20. Reason: old dog new trick

I can get behind this but from a monetary standpoint, it makes more sense to reach as many users as possible. This is something software devs have recently discovered in the mobile computing arena. I simply don't see why it would be more beneficial to only reach a certain tier of users.

10 people buy at $4000 = $40000
    100 buy at $400 = $40000

On it's face, it's 6 of one and half-dozen of the other but, with more users, more word-of-mouth advertising and in the laser world, that sells more products than anything. You're not just reaching 100 user, they'll tell two friends and they'll tell two friends.... You know the story.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    I can get behind this but from a monetary standpoint, it makes more sense to reach as many users as possible. This is something software devs have recently discovered in the mobile computing arena. I simply don't see why it would be more beneficial to only reach a certain tier of users.

10 people buy at $4000 = $40000
    100 buy at $400 = $40000

On it's face, it's 6 of one and half-dozen of the other but, with more users, more word-of-mouth advertising and in the laser world, that sells more products than anything. You're not just reaching 100 user, they'll tell two friends and they'll tell two friends.... You know the story.
    I appreciate the perspective, and I'll answer your question as to what the difference is, because it isn't small. I really don't want to muck up this thread with a historical retrospective on DS. If you want to have a conversation about it, PM me or even better, let's talk on the phone. My number is still listed on digisynth.com. Around here I'd like to stick with the pretty abstracts. If/when we do something more with DS, I'll definitely post it. As it isn't exclusively my decision, it's a mute point to hash through it all again and again. Last time it degraded into a bunch of people complaining they couldn't afford a thing and speculating that it was just wrapped around some other engine, which it was not. Even the framework upon which it was written was from scratch. It had to be to accomplish what it could. A barrage of people who weren't going to buy it simply bitching about it wasn't fun for me or Matt. So those people probably did more to push it away from the hobbyists than anything else. There are plenty of things that I want but can't afford...that's on me, not the seller. Not wanting to have to deal with all that is one of the reasons I stepped away from PL for so long. I'd rather be here to inspire people with something fun to look at and get the same in return, for the love of the art.

To your comment, one of the real sticking points that was considered was service. The moment you charge $0.01 for something, people expect the world for service. Any chance at profit even at the higher price point can be completely devoured by helping the users through any one issue for setup or stepping through the process of how to do something. Everyone has ideas on how something should be done best, everyone wanted to argue about output hardware, midi controllers, signal path and more. Some of these were preference hurdles, some were legitimate concerns. For every user there are a multitude of forum posts or suggestions to keep up with, so the idea of charging 10% for the product to increase that work exponentially was a tough pill to swallow. A ton of work was put into it. A few people found value and made use of it. If/when it ever comes down to a lower price point, we will have to be very clear about where we draw the line so as to not expect $4000 worth of value in service, features or attention. And when it happens, it will be for the love of the art.

Admittedly, I'm very spoiled when it comes to the art. I worked with a great group of talented people who really took the time to get the technical aspects of the imagery to look good. Back when you had to work hard to get it right, and even harder to please the client, not just click around until something wiggled. The expectations in a $100k gig were vastly higher than you might expect, as was the stress and lack of sleep. So the idea of taking pure, clean, harmonious abstracts and munging them down to frames just because that is how a bunch of people do it these days is also tough to accept. So should I lower my expectations and accept a lower quality image or should I stick to my standards and help people increase theirs?

and now, back to the abstracts...

Ok, here are a few samples for your viewing pleasure... no music, a bit of scanner whine and unsteady hand on the cell phone. About 15 seconds of 7 different patches...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...uglYkrh_VxgSjy