Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Beyond Vs iMac - Possible???

Hi James (& others ), and thanks for popping in. Yes, i'm now convinced that an iMac is really the way I want to go, it all sounds good.

I've no problem waiting until June as it's not that far away, it makes sense really.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Jem, VMware is the way to go.......

Quote Originally Posted by dilbert View Post
    Jem, VMware is the way to go.......
    Great, thanks for the tip Ade. I'll take a look at it and add it to the ever expanding list of costs

<Edit> Actually, it's not badly priced £37.78 in the UK for the download version. Now need to find myself a copy of Windows 7...
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

I was recommended VMware Fusion by Taggaluchi and it proved great advice. Also as another significant stamp of approval, the Applestore in my home town where I bought it, also uses it for when they need to run Windows applications.

During the install process you can choose "seamless or "less seamless". With seamless, all the windows applications and documents are shared "seamlessly so that it actually looks like they are Mac applications and you barely know you are running Windows. Also you can make the key commands and mouse behavior work the same for windows as it does for Mac or vise versa . As you've probably discovered, you can use right and left mouse button on the Mac (thanks windows, it really is better having right and left mouse buttons). Also you probable noticed the ,at first perplexing way the page scroll seem to work backwards e.g. when you scroll up, the text on the page actually scrolls down (sounds weird until you understand why) they did it so it is the same as the way you scroll on an ipad or other tablet or smart phone so its more tactile where you "grab" the page and push it up to see whats bellow. Totally the way to go once you get over the original weirdness.

With less seamless mode, when you are using Windows applications, it looks exactly like you are on a PC and the file sharing is more segregated which can be useful if you are concerned about the unsavory malware side of things or also if you just want a clearer distinction so when you are using Windows, it's a classic Windows experience.

That's kind of a crappy explanation, hopefully Taggaluchi can explain the different modes of operation better if you have any more questions. He is a very handy guy to know as he knows Macs from a much deeper level than your average end user like me.

Sounds like you have a plan and are zeroing in on the right option for you.

Good luck
    Kit

Thanks for the info Kit, much appreciated

In fact i'm currently browsing PL on my MacBook using Safari. I have to confess that i'm using Safari more and more, in fact i'm stating to use my MacBook more and more. Which isn't really a good thing as it's totally clean apart from my huge music collection and a couple of DJ software packages (Traktor Pro and Virtual DJ). I need to get the iMac soon before I get too much stuff on the MacBook.

I know what you mean about the upside down scrolling, but in actual fact it does make much more sense the way Apple do it. I'm definitely going to go with VMware Fusion for the Windows compatibility. I guess I should perhaps go for Windows 7, is there much of a difference between the 32 and 64 bit versions and will my laser software run on the 64 bit versions?

Apologies for all the questions, but I fear i'm starting to lag behind with the technology these days.

Hi Jem,

Don't worry about bogging down your machine with too much stuff. They don't seem to slow down
    very much or need the OS reloaded every now and then.

Go for Win7 64bit. 32bit will only allow you to use 3gig of your 16gig of ram.
    Probably no big deal, but did become an issue when I was using xp32bit running complex cad models.

There is a small utility program called clean my Mac which is around £15-20. Which does what you'd expect.

As far as malware goes, macs aren't totally immune. There is maybe 2-3 a year turn up. Most of the latest one hsve been java exploits. The good thing is that. News of Mac malware disseminates very quickly and apple jumps on it reasonabley quickly most times. To a degree I am a naive fool regarding malware but with generally good web practices and a general indifference to the malware issue, in five year I've had no problems.

Get little snitch. It will sob on any ongoing/outgoing traffic that goes on in the back ground too.

The automatic software updates work well and when a major OS increment is available it will only cost you around £20.

If you want to keep up to date and know when a new product will be released or find out about a Mac targeted malware ect. Check out www.appleinside.com there is a bit off trolling and articles to manipulate the stock price, but also some good info. that can save you from buying the wrong thing at the wrong time. It's usually a few days ahead of mainstream media.
    Also there is macrumors.com

Have fun
    Kit
    Last edited by kitatit; 04-29-2013 at 23:29. Reason: Sausage finger on iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    I guess I should perhaps go for Windows 7, is there much of a difference between the 32 and 64 bit versions and will my laser software run on the 64 bit versions?
    Jem I'm running Window 7 64 bit and all my laser software runs perfectly - QS, Beyond, Light Converse.

This is all good news, and thank you again to all who have contributed so far.

I quite dislike the fact that I am becoming an Apple fanboy, but after using Windows since its inception I figure it's time for a complete change.

It's interesting though that it all started with an iPhone, then an iPad, then a MacBook Pro, and now a possible iMac purchase. I'm either Gullible or just truly appreciate the way that all Apple products just work together beautifully

I hope it's the latter Jem! I've followed a similar path to yourself and wouldn't consider myself a fanboy, but I do think that Apple have managed to get the right balance of usability vs capability compared to others. As someone actively involved in software development, it's hard to fault Apple's strength in delivering a highly-usable platform.

I don't think that qualifies me as a fanboy, rather I believe I am a realist who's experience of the breadth of available OS's allows me to form a qualified (though subjective) opinion of what kicks ass!

At the end of the day, it's what works for you. you may find yourself inadvertently labelled an Apple fanboy. Hell, it's a lot better than being labelled a Microsoft fanboy

Haha, at my age I no longer care what folks thing of me, nor the labels they attach

I just love how Apple products just work, everything you do is absolutely seamless, and since iCloud was launched, well... It's just brilliant. Little things such as been able to add an appointment on my iPhone at work and it's instantly synchronised to all my devices... It's just cool