Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: you tube laser

Get a grip its more expensive than the pangolin Ld2000 program and that's taken more time programing that 3 min show with repeat frames in it may be Pangolin should increase its programs x 40%
    The new Beyond is cheaper than that show and the New Beyond has over 1 million codes of information in it and that's award winning.

I guess anyone dumb enough to pay that much deserves to get ripped off. I guess... Good luck to them...

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    laserartist.ru is a well known and ilda award winning company.

they're expensive, but i have never seen better graphic shows. *anywhere*. i cannot imagine the time and and effort that oleysa puts into her show creation.
    Photonlexicon FTP Server.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

For a custom graphics show plus the hidden costs of doing Biz in Russia, that is not bad pricing. It is very expensive to run a business in the former USSR.

To the OP,

Buy Pangolin, download "This Kiss" and one or two of the other wedding chick-flick shows from the showspace, and have at it. That is what clip-art and stock shows are for.

Most of what you need to do that comes with Pangolin, as stock art, although not as artistically coherent.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by tony220171 View Post
    Get a grip... I guess anyone dumb enough to pay that much deserves to get ripped off. I guess...
    ..Oh, it's oh-so easy to play 'armchair quarterback', isn't it? How much time, Tony, do *you* spend hand-drawing / colorizing / optimizing / testing frames, scenes / animations - daily / weekly / annually? (I'm not 'challenging', just asking..) Even-if using the much-easier / less laborious (once past the 'learning-curve' of the software, itself..) 'crutch' of 3DSM, et al.. 'tweening'?? Pththth, Try your hand at rotoscoping a show / creating a show like this from scratch, even with a '3D crutch', and let's see how 'insane' you think such-pricing is, deal, m8?

..and, a lot of those 'collections' (ie: ILP, Lightspeed, etc..) have their initial six-digit-costs to-produce 'amortized' over the course of the expectation of selling nnnn-pieces of said-collection, @$1500. a pop.. Ask them to quote you a 100% custom-show (ie: your 'creative direction', even-if using some 'stock' / library-frames..) - *not* going to be $1500. divided-by 300,000, I can promise you that.. :

Might be good to 'do' before you 'dis'.
    ..If you do / you are a veritable powerhouse of all-manner of high-quality animations / shows, for mere pennies, and, therefore my post is all washed-up, lemme know..
    cheers..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Guys... I take my heat off....

Simple but great show.
    Superb laser projection quality.
    Colors and alignment are amazing.

Quality deserve a right remuneration and surely they deserve (even if, personally, a fare of $500 each minute seems expensive...)

Just for my curiosity...
    What scanner system they use?
    What laser source? I think Coherent Taipan modules (or mixed-gas laser?)

Anyway....
    Congatulations!
    my webpage
    http://stevemilani.jimdo.com
    Skype ID: stevemilani957

my RGB analogue projectors:
    3.9 W (640/532/445) 30kpps
    2.6 W (655/532/450) 30kpps
    2.5 W (638/532/450) 30kpps
    0.7 W (test unit)(635/532/473) 18kpps

Dammit Dammit Dammit!

This is what I've been saying all along and its not as simple as Tony's equations. It's the content that makes or breaks this whole endeavor. That entire show, as good as it is, is projected from a single projector thru a scrim and unless the scrim is stadium sized, a 5-20W RGB with a decent scanner would do it. Ten minutes of that production quality would easily pay for the projector.

CONTENT PRODUCTION IS TOO HARD!

It's a little like the early days of video game production when each scene/character had to be laboriously drawn from scratch. Steve Milani did a 3D Airport segment (nice by the way) that very few could or would do and to refine and complete this into a full show would take A LOT of time. And then what, a ship entering a port city? Each show is singular and there is so little stock to build from. I believe it when the experienced members say it has become much easier, but to me the tools are still cumbersome despite the fact that it pretty much comes down to line drawing.

It would be refreshing if there were interpretation programs that would allow content from live, recorded and CG video and the vast library of Google still images to be projected by single point lasers. Maybe using FFT filters to remove high frequency content and some optimization algorithms to prioritize according to contrast and to reduce scanner velocity. I believe Drlava's control software projected live video, so this can be done.

A DJ mixes and presents music and there is a lot of available music out there. A laser DJ has access to maybe a dozen shows, can play a sequence of geometrical shapes and that's about it. I am not talking about the role of the lighting controller who may or may not be the laser DJ. I am not minimizing the importance of lighting, but I feel this is more about the venue rather than content.

I don't have the mathematical or programing skills to do this, but I do think something like this needs to be done.

Dammit Dammit Dammit!

This is what I've been saying all along and its not as simple as Tony's equations. It's the content that makes or breaks this whole endeavor. That entire show, as good as it is, is projected from a single projector thru a scrim and unless the scrim is stadium sized, a 5-20W RGB with a decent scanner would do it. Ten minutes of that production quality would easily pay for the projector.

It's a little like the early days of video game production when each scene/character had to be laboriously drawn from scratch. Steve Milani did a 3D Airport segment (nice by the way) that very few could or would do and to refine and complete this into a full show would take A LOT of time. And then what, a ship entering a port city? Each show is singular and there is so little stock to build from. I believe it when the experienced members say it has become much easier, but to me the tools are still cumbersome despite the fact that it pretty much comes down to line drawing.

It would be refreshing if there were interpretation programs that would allow content from live, recorded and CG video and the vast library of Google still images to be projected by single point lasers. Maybe using FFT filters to remove high frequency content and some optimization algorithms to prioritize according to contrast and to reduce scanner velocity. I believe Drlava's control software projected live video, so this can be done.

A DJ mixes and presents music and there is a lot of available music out there. A laser DJ has access to maybe a dozen shows, can play a sequence of geometrical shapes and that's about it. I am not talking about the role of the lighting controller who may or may not be the laser DJ. I am not minimizing the importance of lighting, but I feel this is more about the venue rather than content.

I don't have the mathematical or programing skills to do this, but I do think something like this needs to be done.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

inkscape->ildsos does a great job with single frame line drawings
    LSX does a great job with abstracts
    lasercam does a very good job with high contrast/simple videos and animations.

at the end of the day, it's still a ton of work and time. i would love to have a ilda render plugin for lightwave 3d.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Dammit Dammit Dammit!

suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I wonder how much a CGI artists gets paid for 60 seconds of finished completed video? I know the answer for this question, $1,200 per 5 seconds. Mind you this is with an 8 core cpu and a tesla video card at over $5k. It IS tedious, it IS a time consuming craft. Just like hand cartooning. SO the money, is justified on any level. I no longer release ILDA files. I keep everything in LSX. sorta pros only after seeing someone else display a laser show at the OMSI that was mine. so the friends only theory is out the window. I personally charge $370 per minute for completed works before music licensing. I also use laser cam, inscape and max 3-d to assemble themed shows in a snap. But I took the time to learn my craft. Laser Gaga is a 35 minute show, and laser Perry is only 5 mins. Regardless, its still a craft, plumbers get $75.00 per hour to cut pipe!
    There are many hobbiests that may help for free, but you get what you pay for. Some programmers on here are excptional, I am always amazed at the quality of steves and a few others shows, but then again, I get paid to play with a few wonderful lasers, and get paid to learn new programs and platforms to manipulate data. All I can say is Learn in your teens and twenties,earn in your 30's and 40's. And you too can program laser shows, spend countless hours on a show of your own personal time to get it just right, and then give it away without earning a dollar so someone can show their friends. Ill make a video and up it on you tube. Not the same fun is it?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

this is helpful. i've been struggling with pricing my shows.

Quote Originally Posted by nuphotonix View Post
    I wonder how much a CGI artists gets paid for 60 seconds of finished completed video? I know the answer for this question, $1,200 per 5 seconds. Mind you this is with an 8 core cpu and a tesla video card at over $5k. It IS tedious, it IS a time consuming craft. Just like hand cartooning. SO the money, is justified on any level. I no longer release ILDA files. I keep everything in LSX. sorta pros only after seeing someone else display a laser show at the OMSI that was mine. so the friends only theory is out the window. I personally charge $370 per minute for completed works before music licensing. I also use laser cam, inscape and max 3-d to assemble themed shows in a snap. But I took the time to learn my craft. Laser Gaga is a 35 minute show, and laser Perry is only 5 mins. Regardless, its still a craft, plumbers get $75.00 per hour to cut pipe!
    There are many hobbiests that may help for free, but you get what you pay for. Some programmers on here are excptional, I am always amazed at the quality of steves and a few others shows, but then again, I get paid to play with a few wonderful lasers, and get paid to learn new programs and platforms to manipulate data. All I can say is Learn in your teens and twenties,earn in your 30's and 40's. And you too can program laser shows, spend countless hours on a show of your own personal time to get it just right, and then give it away without earning a dollar so someone can show their friends. Ill make a video and up it on you tube. Not the same fun is it?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    this is helpful. i've been struggling with pricing my shows.
    Consider the market. If you charge $370/minute, nobody is going to buy your show. Unless you have a contract and work for a company. Then that company pays you to create exclusive content for them. But if you create shows to sell on the market, it's not a problem if more than one person buys your show, so you can lower your price but make the same amount in the end.