Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another new guy

Default Another new guy

Hi All, I'm Steve. Came over from WL forum. You guys and gals seem to have your stuff together about Laser shows and technology! This is Great! I live in Southwest VA. Been hooked on lasers since I saw ZZTop's show
    in Memphis in the 80's. Started with a he-ne and have been addicted since. Now got an Argon (30mW) w/ homemade PS and projector, and a DPSS 200mW 532 greenie handheld. Glad to be here!
    I have a pic and small video of the argon. Can I post it here? Thanks!

Welcome Steve,
    most people that have video's put them on yahoo or utube and post the link.
    Also for pics just post the url to wherever they are hosted.

Jim

Thanks Jim,
    Here's a vid I took last nite...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkbmElg4wbg

I was trying to burn my web cam up, apparently :lol:

theres a pic of the laz on my website (please ignore the fuzzy pictures)
    http://www.broadoak.zoomshare.com

Hi Steve-o! Welcome to PhotonLexicon!

Southeastern Virginia, eh? Not too far away then... Do you think you'll be able to make the trip to Atlanta this summer for the South Eastern Laser Enthusiast's Meeting (SELEM)?

If you really are a die hard, you're welcome to join us in Florida (Orlando, to be exact) on Saturday, January 27, for a day of lasers and geeks... (Rumor has it that there will be good food and drink there as well!)

Re: your projector... What galvos and DAC are you running? And your Argon - is it a 60X, or a Spectra Physics model. (Uniphase, maybe?)

You can PM Spec (our host here at PhotonLexicon) and see if he'll set you up with a gallery. Or you can upload your pictures to another site and link to them here. As for videos, I know we have a PhotonLexicon group set up on youtube, but I can't access that site from work... (Google video is wide open, however.) I think you can also upload SMALL videos to the gallery section here, but the file size limit is pretty small (like 3 megs or something).

Adam

Hey Adam.
    Thanks for the welcome. Yeah! SELEM sounds great. As far as Orlando..hmmm I may be in Florida (Fort Pierce) area for a family reunion around the week of Feb 17 or 18th. but Jan27 is coming up pretty quick. dunno . mebe. will there be a wet-bar?
    The projector is home-grown. I bought a lasos tube from MWK and got most of the electronic parts from scrap here at work. They manufacture servo drives and motors here. They scrap out LOTS of electronic parts! The galvos (if you can call them that) are modified relays with front surface mirrors glued to them and the DAC (again--see above ) is a basic-stamp2 microcontroller. Fairly unprofessional setup but it was fun to build and funner to show. We do a fireworks/lasershow @ the neighbor's house every Jul 4.
    Have you-all had a SELEM yet? Or was that going to be the 1st one. Sure sounds like a good time,lazin, hazin, gazin --Amazin-- 10-20 lasers all in the same place doin' their own thins..
    Or maybe more like 50 projectors? How many peop have signed on?

Hi Steve-o...

No, we haven't had a SELEM yet. Last year was going to be the first, and it didn't happen. This thing in Orlando is just a little get-together to see how it goes. (Well, it's also to quench our desire for a laser party!) So far we're looking at a crowd of around 10-15 in Orlando. And yes, there will be a bar of sorts. I'm bringing some home-brew beer, and some home-brew hard cider as well. Allthatwhichis plans to bring some everclear. (AKA rocket-fuel!) We're going to have food as well. (Pork BBQ and Lasagna so far...) There will be a decent sound system, fog machines, a small LAN, and of course, Lasers. Of course, people are welcome to bring other snacks, drinks, etc...

SELEM will probably be a larger event. Perhaps 3-4 times as large, and lasting 2 full days. We just don't know yet.

MWK industries, eh? I bought my first laser from them. (Actually I bought one of their lissajous boxes too, once upon a time!) Great memories though.

Adam

Welcome steve-o... no wet bar... yet. :twisted: :roll: I plan on bringing some everclear with me to FLEM...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

We're playing thread-tag i guess..

FLEM is Florida laser enthusiasts meeting?