Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is this a bad choice

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

AFAIK, nobody tried fractals yet, but I can't really think of a way to use fractals in laser art...
    Sure, you could use rasters, but you will have a very limited resolution this way.
    Or you could create the fractals in another program, export to svg and convert them with ild sos (included with lsx).

RE: limits... I haven't encountered "hard" limits in what I want to do yet, only performance problems that are being worked on. The limit is really what your processor can handle. Right now I'm trying to create an effect where you have some objects moving around, bouncing off the edges of the screen. It calculates the position by crudely integrating the velocity value of each object, which is determined by crudely integrating the acceleration values, which you can change in real time so you could add gravity or some weird potential or whatever. Only it's not really working well since the update frequency of the expressions is depending on your processor speed, if you have a DAC connected or even if you have the expression window open, so that's something that will need a solution...
    But that's not something that will bother the average user :P

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

cmb: why aren't you using the "ping" event?

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    AFAIK, nobody tried fractals yet, but I can't really think of a way to use fractals in laser art...
    Sure, you could use rasters, but you will have a very limited resolution this way.
    Or you could create the fractals in another program, export to svg and convert them with ild sos (included with lsx).

RE: limits... I haven't encountered "hard" limits in what I want to do yet, only performance problems that are being worked on. The limit is really what your processor can handle. Right now I'm trying to create an effect where you have some objects moving around, bouncing off the edges of the screen. It calculates the position by crudely integrating the velocity value of each object, which is determined by crudely integrating the acceleration values, which you can change in real time so you could add gravity or some weird potential or whatever. Only it's not really working well since the update frequency of the expressions is depending on your processor speed, if you have a DAC connected or even if you have the expression window open, so that's something that will need a solution...
    But that's not something that will bother the average user :P
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Because that's boring and I like reinventing the wheel :P
    Also there's no gravity in the default Ping event.

fair enough!

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    Because that's boring and I like reinventing the wheel :P
    Also there's no gravity in the default Ping event.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

blue and red are both single mode diodes so no corrections needed and = good beam spec
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

at those power levels and wavelengths for that price?

"638nm(250mW)+445nm(200mW)"

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    blue and red are both single mode diodes so no corrections needed and = good beam spec

More than one diode and over driven, Dan had one a few meets ago and we opened it up
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

One thing that would concern me as well as potential alignment is the fact that there's only a reported 25mw 532 in the 400mw overall package in the LPF bought version once the laser has warmed according to the test over there.

It makes me wonder how much 532 there actually is here and in any case against 638nm its going to be very unbalanced in my opinion.

I have 680mw (red 638) vs 500mw (green 532) (quoted not tested) and I'd happily throw a 1W green in there instead. I'd suggest that 82mw vs 250mw 638 ie 3:1. is very under powered for a balanced output and that's assuming it remains at 82mw once warmed. I noted that in the LPF tests of the 400mw version, the 82mw claimed for the green was reported to be only 25w once warmed. If that is the case and the same holds true here, then there would be a 10:1 ratio of red:green whereas at least 1:1 is more balanced and many with experience of 638 would suggest that you actually want more green than that.

Therefore as a cheap play around module this is OK. For a serious projector build, I'd suggest there are probably better options albeit for more money.