Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ouch...

Hehe,

I work repairing pro audio equipment.... I'm starting to get pretty good at avoiding getting zapped after 6 years
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

I can relate.. I used to work for a music store back in the vacuum tube era (valves ..for you Brits )
    and got tied across the >600V bus voltage. The next thing I remember is my stool (chair, not ...) rocking back on balance and the amplifier that I was working on laying sideways across the bench surrounded with broken glass from the tubes. Shit. What a mess. Took a little while to get the fuzzys out of my brain. :P

My grandfather got hit with around 3KV while working on the power supply for a diathermy machine. It knocked him off the stool just like you mentioned. He ended up on the floor against the back wall with his legs in the air.

His hands were blackened, and for several minutes his fingers were clenching and unclenching involuntarily. Scarry stuff. Fortunately, he recovered fully. But he was never as sensitive to electric shocks after that.

Back in the 70's, I helped him wire up some lights in our garage. He actually had to WET HIS FINGER before he stuck it in a light socket to see if the power was on or not. If he didn't lick it, he couldn't be sure. Granted, his fingers were quite calloused, but it still surprised the hell out of me.

Adam

Now thats a tough ol' dude!

Yeah, he sure was. (He passed away in 1998) He used to install the radars on the Gato-class submarines they built in Manitowoc, Wisconsin during WWII. No telling how many times he got bit working in the shipyard like that. Guess it's true that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

Adam

Yep guess so