Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: This is amazing

At the moment gales force winds.
    Not as bad as you get in the states though.

Jim

We're getting freezing rain. :?
    I read that you all are planning a laser meeting like FLEM over there across the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo
    What is JD? I thought it was whisky :lol:
    Juvenille Diabetees is another term for Type 1, or childhood onset diabetees. So named because when it hits you as a child it's usually not related to stress, obesity, or any of the other adult contributing factors, and also because it nearly always results in insulin dependency for the life of the patient. Whereas Type 2, or adult onset diabetees can often be controlled with pancreatic stimulants, diet, exercise, and weight loss, Type 1 can not.

Back in the day there was just "insulin dependent" and "non-insulin dependent" diabetees. Then came the Type 1 and Type 2 monikers. Now we've got Juvenille diabetees and Adult onset diabeetes. Unfortunately, Adult onset patients can (and often do) end up on insulin. Further confusing the issue is the term "Brittle Diabetic", which refers to an insulin dependent diabetic that has extreme difficulty controlling their sugar level.

Jimbo: Have you looked into the Insulin pump? It can really change your quality of life...

Adam

PS: Can you tell that the EMT inservice training topic for last month was the Endocrine System? 8)

Steve,
    Yes I think we will be organising a mini-meet, there aren't that many of us in the UK.
    Maybe somebody will put their hand up and volunteer to be the organiser.

Adam
    It is pretty rare in the UK to use insulin pumps (1 in 1000 compared to 1 in 7 in US).
    I think it is pretty much down to cost, the cost is about £100 ($200) a month for my insulin to the NHS (although in the UK we dont pay anything for it), I believe the cost of the pump is about £3000 ($6000) and then £250 ($500) a month for the insulin that the pump uses.
    At the moment I take 2 injections per day although my nurse has suggested that in May they might change my insulin and go to 4 injections for better control.

Jim