Thread: JML Optical PBS - Would be nice.

Default JML Optical PBS - Would be nice.

Anybody (reputable person) want to put together a GB for a no nonsense PBS?

Really sick of angle tuning my so called 445nm PBS. Call me aspie but I like things done right.
    Lasers hit PBS at 90 deg. Close to zero loss, no BS with reflections all over the place. WP loss back to normality.

The JML Optical. The CPO21361 10mm
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...s-and-PBS-help

Sent JML an email but they no longer sell these by unit. At $105 seems like a good price for what you are getting. If we set up a GB I am sure we could get them cheaper?

I might add this is a also a very nice PBS set for 442nm.
    http://www.lambda.cc/106.asp

I live in Sweden and it would be difficult for me to organize something like this.
    Last edited by onryo; 06-01-2013 at 10:44.
    gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0x2B4B58FE
    BTC: 1onryo1uHwq8gkj6bM3iKMhxuHTde18JG

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by onryo View Post
    ...If we set up a GB I am sure we could get them cheaper?
    I can vouch first-hand, that these are really-excellent performers for 445.. I also spoke with them, and, sadly, they were all out of anything below 25mm (waaay too-huge for our-needs, at least..) However, I'd recommend looking into the 12mm ones, (to include people who are building 'higher-power' rigs / beam-sizes..) and - If you're willing to follow-up with them - ask what 'price-break' we could get at what-quantity, and, what is the 'minimum'? (..I seem to remember 25, iirc.. but, it would be best to verify..)

..Then, we can look into who, here, might be willing to orchestrate it.. won't be me, at least until I can get myself off my own-GB S-List... But, we'd be down for probably 4-6 pieces, especially if we can get them appreciably below $100. a pop.. They are 'worth it', at least for 'hi-power' builds..

cheers..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I personally prefer the extra 2mm on my cubes for a lot of reasons. Lets hear what members are interested in. The extra two millimeters does not really bother me. Its the dicking around with weird angles and how that effects power loss on my WP. Yes I agree we should defiantly have a cap of no more then 100USD. I have no idea what the discount on volume is. I think planters said in a post they cost him $105 when you could buy them by the unit. My guess is we can get them for a lot less then that. I sent JML an email today. Lets see what JML has to say.

From my conversations with them the minimum WAS 25 and that was for the $105 price. I got them at that price because they were selling them down from inventory. That was when the rep told me that future availability was for this minimum quantity because they no longer intended to act as a distributor, but rather as a broker and their over-seas supplier had a 25 piece minimum order.

I received an email from a Julie Dersam “Customer Solutions Manager” at JML Optical.

“Can I have your contact information so I can get you set up in our system to start the quoting process?”

Gave my contact information. Asked “What is the best price you can give for 25, 50, 75 units ?” Gave them the old part number. Told them we needed a narrow band laser PBS cube centered for 140-145nm.

That was almost a week ago. I am still waiting for a reply ...

A few “lurkers” (actually some really good guys) from LPF have mentioned that they are interested in this PBS too.
    How hard is it to get hold of a PBS that works optimally at 90 deg on both faces and puts out (almost) the same amount of energy you beam into it?!

If things don't pan out with JML Optics, I might order a unit from Lambda Optics http://www.lambda.cc/106.asp centered on 142nm. The 1/2” version is $130 for a single PBS. For a GB I would think anything over $100 might be pushing it for some people. Would also be ideal to have the Lambda PBS extensively tested with our blue modules before a possible GB.

Lightbulb

...centered for 140-145nm. ...
    Err... I think we know whatcha meant..

re: '..checking with Lambda' (vs JML..) we need to find out if the cement they use will be able to 'stand-up' to 445-exposure, over time - especially for those of us that plan to be pounding them with 10-15W of it, each side.. If all we can 'get' is $105. / each, for 25 pcs from JML, I'd opin they're worth it, fwiw..

cheers..
    j

JML gave me the the canned,
    “Unfortunately JML has gone away from the catalog side of the business and we are now focusing on Custom Optics. We do have any stock left on this part. I can quote to manufacture these from scratch but it's going to be costly. Please let me know if you would like to get a quote going for you.”

“ … but it's going to be costly” usually is a nice way of saying 'go away'

I have been speaking with Lambda Research about a half inch (12.7mm) narrow band 442nm laser PBS. The 10mm cube cost $10 USD more then the 12.7mm. I have also seen a lot of voices asking for a larger cube.

Lambda's customer service was friendly and quoted the following prices for volume regrading the 12.7mm narrow band 442nm laser PBS.

The quotation for
    PB-12.7B-442 is:
    Unit price (USD) Qty
    $130 less than 5
    $110 20
    $100 50
    $90 100

There is no way I can vouch for a product that has not been tested by some of the more experienced members here on the PL. On paper the PBS looks really good. I'll probably get a unit or two and send one off to somebody like planters (if he wants) for further testing. I'll be keeping one to see how it holds up with x8 M diodes doing 1.85A each (~15A). About 15 Watts or so. I still got some of that LPF (blast it till it croaks) mentality in me ...

Could be a awesome PBS. Could be an overly expensive clump of glass. Lets find out. Then maybe talk about a GB.
    I should be hearing back from Lambda in the next few days.
    Last edited by onryo; 06-11-2013 at 14:08.

No need to send one to me. I was the one who recommended them and I own several of their 445nm 1/2" cubes and they are running in two of my projectors. They are quite good and visually indistinguishable from the JML part in terms of very low wasted/scattered light. I have not pushed them to the 20W/focused level suggested by Jon nor objectively metered the throughput. However, if you want me to do this prior to a serious buy then send me one and I will wring it out rather than disassemble a projector to extract one. I would return it of course.

Question

“ … but it's going to be costly” usually is a nice way of saying 'go away'..
    Found it! Had-gotten a quote from them, awhile back, (last April, right before my life-truck fell off a cliff.... but couldn't find it, cause it was named something wierd vs anything logical...From JML, 25 pcs. for the 12.7mm / 445 was $95.50; 50 pcs. $75. ea. Delivery, 9 weeks from order. Not bad.. But, at the time, I had only needed one for testing (and couldn't wait 9 weeks..) at the higher-powers, and so had not made any move towards Lambda or trying to rally anything for JML, here..

..So, it might at least be worth 'pushing back' on JML, and going ahead and asking for a Quote - You can even say 'we got a quote last April, but we know it's expired.. it was (above) so, if you can please confirm if this would still be achievable, we may be interested...' or something like that... At least, then, they are stateside (quicker shipping / no inbound-customs, etc.)

Also, they stated they are willing to do a 'Kanban', which is... uh, brb - here: (sorry about the caps - just cut/pasted ) "...FOR QUALIFIED CUSTOMERS. OUR TYPICAL TERMS FOR THESE ORDERS ARE: YOU AGREE TO TAKE THE FIRST DELIVERY WITHIN 6 MONTHS OF PLACING THE PURCHASE ORDER; YOU AGREE TO ACCEPT DELIVERY OF THE ENTIRE QUANTITY ORDERED WITHIN 12 MONTHS OF THE FIRST DELIVERY; YOU AGREE TO ACCEPT DELIVERY OF AT LEAST ONE-FOURTH OF THE TOTAL QUANTITY ORDERED IN EACH CALENDAR QUARTER BEGINNING WITH THE FIRST DELIVERY. IF YOUR SCHEDULING NEEDS DO NOT FIT OUR TYPICAL TERMS, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SALES REPRESENTATIVE FOR FURTHER DISCUSSION."

..so, essentially, if we think we could round up 6-7 'for sure's, and placed an order for 25 / took delivery for the initial batch... figgure we could 'move' 17 within a year, ya? Heck, if things go as well as we plan / expect with our 'Big Blue' project, over here, we'll want 10+ pcs. anyway, so..

So, maybe push back on your email, there, and 'see what they say'? Then, either 'failing that' - or - concurrently, we could get a data-point from Sir Planters on 'long term' performance / glue-fidelity of the Lambda, at the higher-powers? (our only real concern...) What's 'long term'? <shrugs> Sure - 'ideally', 6+ mo's of non-stop beatings.. but, if we all don't want to 'wait', then.. dunno..

Oh, also 'why don't I just 'follow-thru' with JML, since I had-already gotten a quote', a) the gal that quoted me is 'no longer there', b) frankly, I just simply cannot handle taking on any more new-project wrangling, atm... So, your help on this, Onryo, is much-obliged..

Thoughts?
    j

anybody ever test the cheap ebay one coated for 405 450, or is it BB just being sold as band specific? http://www.ebay.com/itm/261158899714...=p5197.c0.m619
    leading in trailing technology