Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A cautionary tale...

Default A cautionary tale...

Having just worked my butt off over 3 consecutive festivals, I may end up having to pay out all of the income (and then some!) to repair/replace a 6500 lumen projector. I was naive and ignorant in equal measures I think, and it may yet cost me my laser work. Don't find yourself in a similar position

If anyone has a trade account with a Sanyo spares supplier and is feeling generous, I'd love to hear from you
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Hi Adam

Try contacting Neil or Marie at 'Chaos illumination'. He uses the big Sanyo projectors and has quite a few spares I believe. If you can't find him on here send me a PM and i'll let you have his contact details.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Ouch! I feel for you. I know that's been discussed on here before. They don't take too kindly to lasers. We cover the lens on the one in the auditorium at SELEM as soon as we get there.

This the one Adam?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000WU2TJ...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

If so it looks like its no longer made.

There are 6,000 lumen Panasonic models (It looks like Panasonic took over Sanyo) such as the PT-EX600L for around £2.5K.

Don't know if that exactly matches the spec, (that one's LCD), but just thought I'd let you know if the worse came to the worse.

Hopefully you'll get a spare part.

It's a Sanyo PLC-XP100. I'm just trying to find out if its the 100 or the 100L variant. There appear to be 2 types of LCD unit which Charles Hyde has priced at £2k and £2.8k inc vat respectively. Quite 'ouch' on the wallet. It may end up not being economical to repair in which case we're onto a different conversation.
    Frikkin Lasers

If it makes you fell any better........ I did the same thing about 3 years back. ~5K DLP in my case. Don't beat yourself up over it.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    It's a Sanyo PLC-XP100. I'm just trying to find out if its the 100 or the 100L variant. There appear to be 2 types of LCD unit which Charles Hyde has priced at £2k and £2.8k inc vat respectively. Quite 'ouch' on the wallet. It may end up not being economical to repair in which case we're onto a different conversation.
    I feel for you Norty, that must have been a real butterflies in the stomach moment when they told you.

At that price its probably not worth a repair once labours been added.

I looked again this morning at the Panasonic website it seems the L models are without lens so if replacing you'd need the non L model I think.

Cheapest I could find was £2.2K but at an unknown dealer. Cheapest reputable was £3K. : http://www.ebuyer.com/391622-6000-an...FRDItAodOWUA0g

If its going to be this much would it not be cheaper to claim on your 3rd party insurance? I doubt they'd put your premium up by £3K!

(BTW the PT-EX600e is 6K lumens not 6,5 but I thought for the sake of 500 lumens if you could get them to accept and all the other specs are the same (I've not checked), that it would be cheaper than the next range up)

Hey Norty

Are you sure you caused the damage to the projector

You mention the projector are LCD types and my understanding that it only the DLP types that are susceptible to damage and a quick Google only reveals reports of DLP projectors being damaged

Have you checked the output from the projector as being damaged pixels or lines being produced as would be caused by a laser hit

Maybe worthwhile getting it check before accepting responsibility for it
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

No, all types are susceptible to damage, it just seems that DLP are more so. The projector had a large aperture lens, and I had 1x 4W RGB, 2x 3W RGB and 2x 2W RGB all nearly level with the sign across the top of the stage being projection mapped. SO my beams (coming from the top rear of the stage) were nearly exactly in line with the aperture.

@White-light. I only have PLI which won't cover this situation. And he doesn't have cover for his kit. The promoters may have hired in kit insurance which we're exploring too. I would hope that labour will be negligible if it's an assembly, assuming it's reasonably accessible in the projector. That's something I may take care of if it looks excessive.

At the moment we're seeing if we can source a used LCD prism assembly.
    Frikkin Lasers

P.S. replacing with a different one is not an option as it was one of a set, for covering large areas. He has 5 lenses for each (and I bet they're not cheap), so changing to a different one would be horrifically expensive I expect as the lenses would likely need changing too.
    Frikkin Lasers