Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How can I fix (do it yourself) this IPG fiber laser?

... I don't have service documentations of the IPG-lasers, only a basic sketch for the serial communication, so I can detect an internal error, but not the cause or type.

If you can give me the infos regarding the 25pin-connector, this would be fine.

For more detailed informations you should get in contact with IPG ...

Viktor

Dear Viktor,

Thank you for the reply. The fault is diagnosed via testing the laser at the interface 25-pin D-shaped connector. The signals at Pin # 16 & 21 goes high after few minutes of normal operation after actual lasing. This fault occurrence is fast when the power is at higher value & arrives late when the same is running at low value.

No symptoms of fiber failure as the laser is emitting the beam normally for few minutes.

How can you support in this case, can you give us few hints or TPs to check on the Interface board. It looks the heat dissipation issue as at lower power its operates more than at the high power. If the faults occurs then if we immediately initialize the system start then the laser starts as a normal & again after few minutes the MO failure alarm re-occurs.

Regards,
    Mahesh

Hello all,

Any assistance on my new thread is appreciated. http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...60-with-driver

Regards,
    Greg

Dear Mahesh,

Have you solved your problem ?

Let us know the feedback

regards
    Saravanakumar

I know this is an old thread, but hoping someone is still watching it -

I've recently come across a scrapped 10KW (!) laser that contains *MANY* IPG PLD-30-974 laser modules.
    I think they are 20-30 watts each...?

Is it really as simple as providing the proper voltage and current to the module for them to lase ?

I may end up putting some of these up for sale if anyone is interested...

Thanks !
    George

Hi George,

I have two older 25W-diodes and opened one - it's essential a group of three 9W-diodes in series, combined into a 105µ-fiber.

You'll drive them by running a current of up to 9 Amps through them - as this are 3x 9W-diodes in series, the voltage will be 3x of a single diode, but the current will stay same.

Where are you located? - could be interested in some of the modules

Viktor

Viktor,
    I just got these yesterday and have not yet opened all the slide in modules containing the lasers...
    I did open up one module that had 56 individual laser units within. Still trying to sort out the fibers...
    I am in New Jersey...

I wasn't able to locate a data sheet for this particular module IPG PLD-30-974.

I'd be willing to sell some for sure. I just want to be sure I don't hurt anything related to the fibers.

I'll send a few pictures and would welcome any advice about these...
    Thanks !
    George

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170324_205544.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	51915

Name:	20170324_205633.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	51916

Name:	20170324_124013.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	3.15 MB 
ID:	51917

... the 30W-laser-diodes have same housing, but different orientation than the older 25W-types, so could be similar in handling ... maybe other/higher max. currents than the 9 Amps with 25W.

Here an opened 25W-diode:

Name:	25W-open.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	51918

For extracting the diodes you have to break the fiber connection, where they are fused into the splicer or the fiber core - leave them as long as possible!

I'll be interested in some of them for testing with multi-lasers for fusing tests, but I'm in Germany ... so could be a problem to get laser diodes through customs

Viktor

Viktor
    I've done an inventory now...
    I have 6 modules, each containing 56, 30 watt fiber pump diodes.

I will definitely sell some as I have no need for so many.

Likewise with the remaining parts of each assembly.

Yesterday I removed a single diode, and fired it up with a 5v, 15a power supply.

Question I have now is how to polish the fiber end where I break it, so that it doesn't destroy the fiber when it lases.
    I'd like to combine several diode outputs with some sort of optic for use in a small laser CNC.

Would customs have an issue with "surplus electronic components" in a shipment ?

Thanks for your help and advice!!!

George