Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How can I fix (do it yourself) this IPG fiber laser?

VDX, I was thinking the same for my FAP arrays. What type of "big " lens did you use? I was thinking I would need a f-theta to make the geometry correct,, but I could be wrong. I really would like to recombine them for a fiber laser since I have 2 spools of yb doped fiber from sdl. But I have been unable to fund fused combiners on the cheap. All the ones on eBay or either for low power or for 1550nm light. Also locating Bragg gratings have been a problem. I would love to try some nd doped fiber on my 808's but that never shows up either. I wish you could get the same conversion effeciancy with bulk media..

... the 80 diodes for the 1.6kW ringfocus-laser were combined with FAC and a special mirror - read here: http://www.ringfocus.de/en_page/prod...ringflaser.htm

Combining several fibercoupled diodes can be as simple as point all the ends through a normal lens, big enough to hold all the beams and adjust the fiber ends, so the foci meet in a single spot.

Actually I'm developing single-diode modules for lasercutting, engraving and SLS - her a post (sorry, in German) with images, I made today with cutting plastic and engraving paint on a ceramic tile with powers of 2Watts to 5Watts: http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?25...814#msg-227814

Viktor

VDX- The results you have with the 2-5w is very impressive considering the low power! I was thinking about doing some SLS or SLA, but I haven't found any open source products yet. Know of any? And quick question...anyone know the drive specs for the 5w IPG diodes? Is it 2v at 10a or am I way off?

... look here for a nice DIY-SLS-project: http://focussls.blogspot.nl/

And read/join the discussions in the metalbot forum: http://www.metalbot.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=89

... or reprap-forum: http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?15...581#msg-207581

The 5Watt-diodes from IPG runs with 5Amps maximum rating, but I'm driving them with 4.5Amps max., so they won't degrade.

Viktor

I had read in several places that the IPG diodes used Telecom design and were heavily derated for industrial use. Something I read had mentioned the 5w units as actually being 20w units but IPG wants the diodes to last 50k-100k hrs vs the 10k hr standard. Any thoughts? Maybe I'll murder test one and see what happens. I have enough. Lol. Thank you for the SLS links!

Well I found out the price difference between the 10 watt IPG laser and the 20 watt version is only a few hundred dollars. This makes me think they are identical inside and IPG is just driving the diodes in the 20 watt 1mJ version a bit harder.

Also makes me wonder if there would be some way of turning my 0.5J 10 watt model into a 20 watt model with a firmware change.

Too bad this isn't a large market product with hackers...only a few of us messing with these on the non-industrial side...

... i don't think, it's so easy!

I have IPG-5, -9 and -25 types - the older IPG-5 have a housing that is nearly identical to the -25 ones, but they don't behave similar.

The IPG-5 has a nearly linear power-to-current curve with 0.4 to 5Amps for 0 to 5 Watts, the much smaller IPG-9 needs 9Amps for 9Watts ... and the IPG-25 gives 25 Watts with 9Amps!

Viktor

I have the larger 5w versions that you have. Now the 25w is only drawing 9 amps? That's crazy! lol. What voltage is the 5w vs 25w? I also noticed you had a FAP coherent diode. Do any SLS or engraving tests with that guy? I have plenty of those laying around, up to 40w I think, maybe 1 that's 45-50 region. I wonder how bad the engraving would be with the multimode vs single...?

... powder-SLS and some other 'additive' methodes are next on my schedule ;-)

Did some freehand powder testing with 445nm@1Watt and IR with 808, 975 and 1070nm at powers of 2 to 20 Watts with some interesting results (e.g. selective evaporating of powder mixtures) ... will repeat this later again ...

Viktor

... I've opened one of the 'exploded' 25W-diodes (and closed it again, still working ;-))

It's an interesting optical design.

Viktor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 25W-Diode.jpg