Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: maybe feeler for tiny RGB and need some advice.

Default maybe feeler for tiny RGB and need some advice.

Hello all need some input.

So I am planning on making myself a couple of low power RGB units and was thinking about selling some. The problem is they would be expensive. Let's take a look at the parts list to build equivalent.

Green diode: $140
    Red diode $140
    Blue diode $50
    Three diode holders $90
    Two flex mounts $40
    dicros and mirror $80
    Three drivers(p3): $160
    Something to mount all of this on $20
    Power supply $25
    Three good lenses $108
    So that right there is $850 or so.

Now I am going to build my own everything but the lasers, dicros, lenses and mirror, power supply.
    I think I can squeeze everything into about 2” x 2” x .75” or there about. This thing would have really great color a beautiful single mode beam great modulation and make in the neighbor hood of ~350mw white.

Now the down side. I would have to charge a $1100 to make it worth the time to cad, machine all the parts, design the drivers, get boards made, populate boards and test, assemble, align, ship, ???, Profit (not much). I design and construct prototype things for a living, I would charge a client a LOT more than that to do this. and If I am going to go to all the effort of doing it I would like to make a little money.
    Now I know that you can get china crap rgb things with twice the power but half the cost.
    Is there any interest for a GOOD small well designed tiny high performance RGB laser?

Your thoughts.

Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Thats exactly what I want to build exactly!
    Philipp Wetter

Chad,

Would you be willing to sell said kit without the diodes, psu and drivers? This would make an awesome host and GB's can get the price down on the rest of the bits... You do very nice work and the parts obtainable by a mortal make us think we can make things . This probably would lower the cost to increase the amount of buyers. I know I can't swing the full price (although worth it knowing your work).

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

if you can be happy with TTl- AixiZ Laser(.com) has some new labbies ( 7 iirc) all the same size-- small footprint- cheap too

I have the 638 180mW red and it makes a stable 240mW- they have 445/532 & 405 in that same size- all priced very low IMO-shipped ffrom Houston- I could help get any forum member a discount if asked- even considered a GB on all seven.

want links?

hakzaw1 you are completely missing the point of building this. I am in no way trying to compete with china junk. I am building a small laser with excellent beam quality matched power levels for great color. I am using the best of everything available. I know very well that I can get ttl china el-cheapos. This build is about quality not cheapness.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Chad, you know that your posting on a hobbyforum where everything is to expencive? Except for those who make money with lasershows and the few who have a well payed job that is.... But its good to see that someone understands the difference and is willing to put effort in it. I have doubts about interest though because the economy isn,t doing that well either these days. Secondly most people arround here just waving some beams from left to right and so the nessesity is not that great. I think the magic is gone when comparing it with an coherent innova whitelight but that,s my opnion. Single mode is the way to go.
    People nowadays are happy and used to a dual p73 setup / blue olike lens combo with poor beamquality and shoot them on some DT30,s or 40,s with bigger mirrors. But i admire you for trying
    Last edited by edison; 05-21-2013 at 09:39.

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Three diode holders $90
    Maybe mount the 3 diodes in a single block ?

After a few requests I threw together a special bundle pack for those wanting to do some RGB units with single mode diodes.
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...B-Diode-Bundle
    Last edited by DTR; 05-21-2013 at 18:32.

I would be interested in something simillar. a small projector, easy to carry around for programming. DT40 are not that bad for it

Chad,

This is great and yes I could help. We could submerge the entire thing in liquid helium and the dolly should have a heavy lift hook, right?