Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New laser

This was the case with the old laser...I wish I had taken more photos of the beam....my reason for my observation is based upon my copy of 'Optics",Hecht-Zajac. I will get a couple of the pages posted....please advise me if this information is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by yaddatrance
    The beam profile is not TEM anything, it looks just like the optics is just misaligned. Maybe it jarred loose during shipping? I bet you see some combination of pbs/offset heads inside.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

If I were to guess from this photo

there are two actual heads inside the unit, one is TEM00 and the other is TEM01 (could be TEM10 I suppose) and the reason it looks "bad" is because both units are not perfectly aligned with each other. If the beam looks better at low power, then the second laser is modehopping and needs to be cooled more. Manual realignment would make the TEM01 unnoticable except as having a "wide" beam.

That is somewhat a good thing....the pic is at low power, measured 28 mw. At 4.57 v it appears to have 3 beams....one very intense center beam and 2 faint beams off each side. It seems to flicker a bit as it finally gets to a stable point and then you can notice a power jump of sorts, increased, and then it is stable. With the 2 flanking beams present. Only notice when the beam is expanded with smoke and noticed near the head without external lenses. Its spot is so bright, even with protection it is hard to see if they are there. Not sure what to make of this thing. I am in the process of setting it up to be modulated.Maybe that will tell more. Building new beam table and laser mounts.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

How did you go with this ?
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

Why can't I see the photo??

I returned the unit and opted for a power upgrade and all is wellnow with the new laser.