Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Laser noobie looking for help

Sorry to reply to my own post, but i was wondering whether an accession number and projector variance were the same thing. I have seen the laser show variance and the laser show reporting guide but i could not find anything ona projector variance or how to gain an accession number. Can you send your laser show variance papers and and projector variance papers in at the same time? Where can i find the projector variance papers?
    Thanks,
    Joey

Edit: is this all i need to get the projector variance?(Assuming that the projector meets all qualifications) http://www.fda.gov/opacom/morechoice...s/FDA-3147.pdf
    Last edited by JOrton19; 02-16-2007 at 14:12.

Quote Originally Posted by JOrton19 View Post
    I got to talk to the guy after the show and the advice he gave me was funny. I asked him how hard it was to get his variance for the projectors(which he custom built) as well as the variance for the shows. I told him i was thinking about getting a chinese unit and adding a shutter/ir filters/ all else i need to make it legal and getting it an accession number. He told me not to bother because i am in california and that I would be just fine without. I am not gonna follow his advice but I found it funny. He was also encouraging and said that getting the variances is all paperwork and that it was not that hard. He also said no one has ever inspected his laser which i found interesting.

Sorry, i forgot my camera! It was not the best, but it was still fun.

Joey
    It doesn't really concern me, as i don't live in the states, but I wonder how many do exactly that? Don't bother with the regs that is, or crowd scan... I'm sure theres quite a few doing public shows without the proper variances, etc...
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Folloiwing up on Daves reply, are there any reports over in the States about people being prosecuted for running illegally (not Ben Johnson )?

Jim

Simply put, an accession number is for all lasers, a variance is also required for entertainment projectors.

In general, It is the manufacturer's responsibility to "certify" a laser by obtaining an accession number, and it is your responsiblity to obtain a variance (an exception to normal laser safety rules) for both the laser projector and an individual variance for laser shows. However, if your laser does not have an accession number, you are considered the manufacturer of the laser device and must file a Laser Product Report and obtain an accession number.

Lastly, Having one does not grant the other.

Of interest: http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/radhlth/pdf/lasrpt0p.pdf

Certification of a laser product means that each unit has passed a quality assurance test and that it complies with the performance standard. The firm that certifies a laser product assumes responsibility for product reporting, recordkeeping, and notification of defects, noncompliances, and accidental radiation occurrences, as specified in sections 21 CFR 1000-1010. A certifier of a laser product is required to report the product via a Laser Product Report submitted to CDRH. Reporting guides and related regulatory information are available from the DSMA web site at: http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/devadvice. Distribution of any certified laser products internationally would also require submission of the report.
    The men in black have been known to go after violations, a big recent case was Martin Entertainment who got reamed monetarily for building and selling non-varianceable projectors. But the real reason we tend to stay on top of things is legal liability.

P.S. I live in southern california and I've seen quite a number of shows with unvarianced audience scanning... I suspect that's because there are a lot of "fly by night" companies which are hard to regulate and because of a general sense of apathy from promoters.
    Last edited by yaddatrance; 02-17-2007 at 12:31.

If your projector does not have an accession number, but you fill out all the papers and the projector is compliant, can you file the papers at the same time as you file the papers for your variances? I.e. do you have to wait for the accession number before you apply for the variance or can you do it in one big bundle. Also, How long does it generally take for the CDRH to go through your papers?
    Thanks,
    Joey
    Last edited by JOrton19; 02-18-2007 at 12:08. Reason: forgot something

Let's see...

If everything is by the book, accession should take about 6 weeks, variance only takes 2 weeks for the projector variance. Then show variances take a couple weeks officially, but you can get those pretty quickly.

If things need to be fixed, obviously it will take a bit longer.

What do you mean "by the book". don't you just send in your papers? Or is there more to it than that...

The paperwork involves descriptions of how you plan on adhering to the rules and what exceptions (variances) you are asking for... for example, if your show is using unterminated beams (aerials which go into the sky) then you'll have to write more details on how you're planning on keeping it safe. If you skip that portion, then they'll write back for clarification and it'll be a back'n forth process until it passes or is rejected. That said, I prefer to keep my paperwork relatively short so I would use more pictures to describe what I'm explaining.

In short, if you skip an interlock or something, it'll take longer because they'll send it back to you and you'll have to fix it and resubmit it. Which takes longer. Also if your projector is "special" and does non-standard things (like DMX pan-tilt laser heads) they will take longer to examine it and ask a lot more questions. For an extreme example, Don of Laserwurx spent 4 years!!! getting this head varianced!

I'm lucky because the projector i am getting comes witha fully filled out product report . Also my show only uses one projector in doors and all the beams terminate on the back/side walls. Thanks for the help yaddatrance. I will report back as I go for the variance. (And probably earlier to get help filing it)
    Joey

Hello, I am another Noob with a related question to the F2000+. I am just a LD hobbyist and got the Seven Stars unit for an easy and relatively inexpensive forey into laser animation.

My current issue is connecting to that darn non-ILDA standard interface. The DAC that Laser Show, Inc. carried with the RJ-45 adapter was discontinued. As an alternative, I was provided a DAC with a DB9 and a DB25 ILDA output. I've built one DB9 to RJ45 converter cables using the standard pin assignments: http://www.commdevices.com/pdf/Stand...9%20pinout.pdf and a DB25 to RJ45 adapter using the Yost standard: http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable...rial-rj45.html

Unfortunately neither of these approaches have the correct pin assignments. Does anyone know what the pin assignments should be?

On a related note, the iShow Laser Show software that came with the DAC appears to have been a good deal. It's higher end than the free stuff and cost me only about $100 - much less painful than Mamba Black or the high end stuff. An added bonus was the iShow software comes with thousands of frames and animation sequences, so you don't need to chase them down on your own. Now if I can only get that interface cable to work!