Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser noobie looking for help

Default Laser noobie looking for help

Hello everybody, I am looking for the best way to spend 2000 dollars and i know practically nothing about lasers. I have seen that "good" rgb lasers are way out of my price range but there are some chinese ones that i might be able to afford. The Big dipper f2000+ as well as the dj traximus TE dmx laser are both rgb's within my price range, but i had a couple of questions about them. Here are two links to them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...1399&rd=1&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2835&rd=1&rd=1

1. Would they be able to do simple graphics/texts and beam effects like fans, or would they be sloppy looking?
    2. I read that they do not come with an IR filter and that this is dangerous. How hard would it be to install one? After installation is it possible to do audience scanning?
    3. Beam effects are more important to me but i would like to be able to do simple text and graphics, would it be worth it to get a comprably rgy like a laserworld pro-300 rgy?
    4. How hard is it to hook it up to simple computer software like "Fiesta" or other freeware programs? I think i need a special box to hook it up to my computer, but i'm not sure. What is the cheapest means of computer control?

Sorry for all the dumb questions. Thanks a lot for the help,
    Joey

F2000 is not a bad unit. I helped a few members here get one and save a few $$$ I will let someone else reply with the links to the reviews of it

Default one more question

I've read a lot about the F2000+ on this website and people have talked about it having 15k scanners but on this auction it says only 10k. Is this the same product or do you think this is a downgraded version?
    Thanks,
    Joey

Damn... You said the "chaep" word didn't you? Nothing cheap in lasers, or if it is, you will soon tire of it. I use a freeware popelscan and after a few months now I am trying my hardest to get some $ together to get something... less cheap.

2Gs could build you a decent projector but that's probably it. I'm not sure if I would go with a prebuilt system, definatly not one with 10k scanners and no IR filter, actually swap that, I wouldn't buy anythign without an IR filter and 10k is a lil slow for good animations.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

The DJTraximus unit only uses stepper motors rather than galvos so the graphic capability of it is rather poor' also it has no ILDA interface so you wont be able to control it via the PC without voiding the warranty and wiring a iterface to it.

The Big Dipper that is shown also does not have the industry standard ILDA 25pin connector, it does have an ethernet type connector though. Maybe one of the other members will be able to tell you what interface/software you can use with it.

Jim

How hard would it be/how much would it cost to install an IR filter myself? Where could i get one?

Dig around here and collect info......you could build yourself a nice kit if you plan wise.....
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

$2k isn't unreasonable to build yourself a respectable 30k ILDA-compatible RYG system.
    The expertise required isn't high and you can buy any tools you need within the budget.

I would spend ~$600 on a set of DT-40s, ~$300 on the 200mW red, ~$400 on a big green,
    budget ~$100 for optics, and ~$100 for misc parts like switches, db-25 connectors, etc.

The remainder could be spent on a laser board of varying degrees of features of your choice.

http://www.pangolin.com/products/pri....htm#flashback

would be my current recommendation. Any money left over would go toward bigger lasers.

We can assist with expertise here on PL during the buildout stages. This is also assuming you don't have much electronics or programming experience. The more experience you have, the more ambitious the project can be within that budget.

I have read somewhe on this site that for 50 dollars you can buy an ir filter. Would it make sense to try and "pimp out" this laser projector with DT-40's which would land me around 2k. Also people have been saying that this unit does not have the standard ILDA 25 pin cable. is there any way i can still connect it to my computer? And also, Is it possible to connect the laser directly to the computer or do you need a medium in between. (This laser has an ethernet connection)

So in terms of what I think you're asking...

The F2000 is an inexpensive way to play with an RGB laser system. It has its own onboard "laser show generator", as such it's a interesting way to play. It will need to be upgraded with better scanheads AND a "real" laser controller to do public shows. It will also need a little bit of work to meet cdrh requirements. The hardest being specifically obtaining a valid accession number.

The second ebay auction is not really worth considering. The steppers are incapable of generating useful graphics.

I would not bother with an IR filter, just avoid taking a beam in the face. At 300mW, the laser is not considered eyesafe.