Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Just tinkering with something 638nm RED 8W and bright as hell.

actually the ideal diode laser source for show laser would be an array of single mode lasers with a large pitch on the substrate say 0.5 to 1 mm. Collimate the fast axis with an FAC collimate the slow axis with a microlens array and transform the resulting collimated line of emitters into a 2d spot with whatever techniqe you like. Wavelength beam combining could give you the beam quality of a single emitter, but even without that you could have a beam equivalent to a 25x knife edge setup on a footprint of ~20x100mm or so. Funny thing is, that these bars exist in theory since the manufacturers produce the diodes on big wafers with thousands of emitters (with most possibly smaller pitch). Just convince Opnext or Mitsubishi not to cut them into single emitters but bars before coating.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    I am working on this neat "Z" fold DPSS and I was hoping to move up from F mount free space diodes to fiber coupled modules. And so... I was wondering...you know
    What powers are you looking into? We have fiber coupled single bars for 808nm and 880 up to 50W. Two of them in a Z cavity would make a crazy bright greeny.

actually the ideal diode laser source for show laser would be an array of single mode lasers with a large pitch on the substrate say 0.5 to 1 mm. Collimate the fast axis with an FAC collimate the slow axis with a microlens array and transform the resulting collimated line of emitters into a 2d spot with whatever techniqe you like. Wavelength beam combining could give you the beam quality of a single emitter, but even without that you could have a beam equivalent to a 25x knife edge setup on a footprint of ~20x100mm or so. Funny thing is, that these bars exist in theory since the manufacturers produce the diodes on big wafers with thousands of emitters (with most possibly smaller pitch). Just convince Opnext or Mitsubishi not to cut them into single emitters but bars before coating.
    That makes perfect sense. The only problem is the volume demand. This is just too niche a market, alas.

What powers are you looking into? We have fiber coupled single bars for 808nm and 880 up to 50W. Two of them in a Z cavity would make a crazy bright greeny.
    15 -30 W with 200um fiber @ 808nm. No need for photo diode feed back, TEC or aiming beam. More power is always nice, addictive in fact, but above 30 W I will be approaching the fracture limit for the crystal. I need an SMA termination and two of these pumps for this dual end pumped vanadate. One concern is the current contenders (ie N-Light) are multiple single emitters that operate in series so the drive requirements are 7-10V x 7-10A and this can be supplied by available Wavelength Electronics drivers as opposed to a driver that can also operate as an arc welder in a pinch.

Well, back to the O.P. -- What happened with this project Andy? Any good info/ final results? Your thread kinda got derailed at the end heh ..

Busy with tons of events at the moment so I had to put the research on the back burner for a bit, had very good results tho and certainly will be creating some nice red modules.

Hi Andy.

Just came by this thread. What happend with your Red project ? Did you get any usefull beam out of the laserbar ?

/Poul.