Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photonics West

Default Photonics West

Kind of late notice, but I'll be at Photonics West in San Jose today and tomorrow. Anyone else going? Want to meet up for a beer afterwards (or find something amazing I must see), give me a call - 408-210-6614

Kevin Criqui
    Junktronix

Well I'm back from my first day at the show. The most interesting thing I saw was that Opnext is making a 90mW 642nm laser diode. Note the wavelength. If these overdrive as well as the original 80mW 658nm diodes (I think Marconi was getting 170mW out of them?) then 2 combined with a cube should be pretty nice. According to the CIE color chart, 642nm is 40% brighter than 658nm. Unfortunately, they couldn't give me a price and said they won't be available for about a month. The part number is HL6366DG/67DG/78DG (3 different LD / PD layouts)

What would the application be for those? Besides laser shows, of course . Maybe laser tv's?
    Remember the future?, That'd today, as you imagined it yesterday.

The spec sheet specifically said these were made for display systems and shows a heads up display in a car (projected on the inside of the windshield) and a "PDA" projecting it's dinky screen on a nearby wall. How long until my cell phone has a full color 1080p projector built in!?

Quote Originally Posted by Junktronix
    ...90mW 642nm laser diode.
    Are you allowed to take pictures? If not: did these things have any elaborate cooling? Hard sealed cases?

Im terribly interested after my 300mW 635nM idea blew up. Diodes were useless for show applications: even after some expensive anamorphic prisms, grin lens, and phenomenally good collimating lenses got at best 5mm/5mRad. Such is the state of "terribly multimode" diodes.

Technically speaking: if these are a new substrate/design, I will be thrilled.

Do they have specification sheets you can abscond with?

They are just laser diodes in 5.6mm cans - not complete systems. I did get a spec sheet. They are single mode with a 2:1 aspect ratio so should make an outstanding beam without exotic optics.

Found a sheet: http://www.opnext.com/products/detai...HL6378DGR0.pdf

These things look like they could be ice'd to 635-638nM pretty easily.

MQW, so your looking at multimode and lower than average polarization... Still though... 10f21s... that looks ideal.

The spec sheets make reference to a .63um gap... thats almost perfect...

Mmmmmm Greek... :? :roll:

That looks like a preliminary version of the spec sheet I got. No spec is given for the temperature coefficient of wavelength, but I assume it's 0.25 - 0.3nm/C like similar diodes so you could drop the wavelength a few nm by cooling them. Not worth the effort IMHO. MQW (multi-quantum well for non-greek speakers) does not mean multi-mode. The spec sheet doesn't say, but the rep I talked to said they were single mode and the previous generation (HL6362MG) as well as the 130mW 658nm diodes we know and love (HL6553FG) are all MQW and single longitudinal mode.

I'm not sure how MQW affects polarization ratio, but I'd expect these to be at least 100:1 so they should combine in a polarizing beam splitter cube just fine. I actually need a 400mW red laser for yet another RGB projector, but it can't wait until these are available

Have you all seen this? It's a 3 Watt 635 nm diode from Rumzing:

http://www.rumzing.com/reddiode.htm#

Can you correct/collimate from a fiber?