Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WANTED WAV to ILDA CONVERTER.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default WANTED WAV to ILDA CONVERTER.

Wanted: Wav file to ILDA converter.

Specifications:

Input five selectable wav files using a standard Windows dialog box from anywhere on the hard drive.
    Wav files are coherent, ie will not be different lengths, making programming easier.
    Allow for inversion, Gain and addition of a DC Offset on each color channel using sliders.
    Allow to run if one or more color wav channels is missing.
    On RGB channels allow for selectable lead/lag of existing points to 10 points either direction on each channel via slider, somewhat optional.
    Allow for output frame point count size selection with dialog box.
    Allow for forcing a 2 channel WAV to a default background color selected by dialog box before saving.
    Output in ILDA format (type to be specified) acceptable to LSX(tm) and Pangolin(tm) software with maximum color resolution.
    Complied program, able distribute without having to download 3rd party runtimes, etc. Run on 32/64 bit XP and 7.
    Save via dialog box.
    On screen preview of wavs desired, viewing of ILDA file on screen optional. This is to allow setting of offset/inversion on RGB input files.
    Will consider paying reasonable costs for add in programming plug ins for programmer as needed, Ie WAV handling and Visualization.
    is NOT REQUIRED TO RUN IN REVERSE, IE Not required to convert ILDA to WAV.

I have some funding for this project, serious programmers only. I will supply sample wav files as needed. Programmer should own a 30K or more capable RGB laser projector. I own the rights or some other reasonable agreement profitable to both parties when done. This will not become freeware, so we are not exposed to liability if some one steals art with it.

Contact via PM.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 07-04-2013 at 16:53.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

In other words, you want LCADAT.

Not exactly sure how it not being freeware avoids any copyright liability though. Honestly, a freeware project might actually be safer than a commercial one.

Adam

Adam,

LCADAT(tm) running on a friend's PRO system did not do so well with the files in question, it left five second black sections every five seconds. There is a small commercial demand for this software, I now have a decent analog system from pieces I've scrounged over the years, and its not too useful unless I can get the results into LSX.

LCADAT is a trademark of Pangolin, Inc.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Wanted: Wav file to ILDA converter.

Specifications:

Input five selectable wav files using a standard Windows dialog box from anywhere on the hard drive.
    Wav files are coherent, ie will not be different lengths, making programming easier.
    Allow for inversion, Gain and addition of a DC Offset on each color channel using sliders.
    Allow to run if one or more color wav channels is missing.
    On RGB channels allow for selectable lead/lag of existing points to 10 points either direction on each channel via slider, somewhat optional.
    Allow for output frame point count size selection with dialog box.
    Allow for forcing a 2 channel WAV to a default background color selected by dialog box before saving.
    Output in ILDA format (type to be specified) acceptable to LSX(tm) and Pangolin(tm) software with maximum color resolution.
    Complied program, able distribute without having to download 3rd party runtimes, etc. Run on 32/64 bit XP and 7.
    Save via dialog box.
    On screen preview of wavs desired, viewing of ILDA file on screen optional. This is to allow setting of offset/inversion on RGB input files.
    Will consider paying reasonable costs for add in programming plug ins for programmer as needed, Ie WAV handling and Visualization.
    is NOT REQUIRED TO RUN IN REVERSE, IE Not required to convert ILDA to WAV.

I have some funding for this project, serious programmers only. I will supply sample wav files as needed. Programmer should own a 30K or more capable RGB laser projector. I own the rights or some other reasonable agreement profitable to both parties when done. This will not become freeware, so we are not exposed to liability if some one steals art with it.

Contact via PM.

Steve
    I'll do it for around $2000. I am a serious programmer.

I believe I have pieces of code that can be stitched together to facilitate your requirements. Only one thing I'm worried about: Where to cut the frames. The wave's are continuous streams of data with no obvious frame marker. The frames can be so different that I can't (in this moment) come to think of a good way to mark frames.

Feel free to PM me.
    Best regards
    Jan Thogersen

LCADAT(tm) running on a friend's PRO system did not do so well with the files in question, it left five second black sections every five seconds.
    Sounds like you've got input level problems, or else you're using a sub-par digitizing solution.

Send a PM to DZ. He's done quite a bit of work with LCADAT, and his results are virtually indistinguishable from the original recordings, with the exception of some very complex abstracts that suffer slight aliasing distortion from the forced frame-breaks when they're converted to ILDA.

Note that you need a pro-sumer level audio card to do this right. He uses an Echo Layla 24/96, and it seems to work flawlessly. I've run the ILDA output on my own projectors, and it looks awesome.
    There is a small commercial demand for this software, I now have a decent analog system from pieces I've scrounged over the years, and its not too useful unless I can get the results into LSX.
    If you have a friend who already has a QM-2000 pro board, it would probably be cheaper to offer this as a service and split the money with your buddy. Why re-invent the wheel, right? Just sayin'...

Adam

PS: Check your PM's...

Echo Gina digitizing, then recently redone on a MOTU 828 series, which did perform far better.
    Levels are fine.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by FutureDesign View Post
    I believe I have pieces of code that can be stitched together to facilitate your requirements. Only one thing I'm worried about: Where to cut the frames. The wave's are continuous streams of data with no obvious frame marker. The frames can be so different that I can't (in this moment) come to think of a good way to mark frames.

Feel free to PM me.
    Older Pangolin frames come with a very obvious frame marker, which is blanked while the board reloads. Laserboy (And LCADAT) supposedly uses that in those cases.
    Other then that, for the abstracts, just cut it at every N frames or try at zero crossings after N points.

Steve

Older Pangolin frames come with a very obvious frame marker, which is blanked while the board reloads. Laserboy (And LCADAT) supposedly uses that in those cases.
    Other then that, for the abstracts, just cut it at every N frames or try at zero crossings after N points.

Steve
    I had 'ok' luck with cutting constant point rate data (which is your case) every N points. It works fine as long as the data is streamed in a nice timed fashion. Most of the open api dacs have the concept of automatically repeating frames and if this happens, depending on the data, the result can look funny. I created an application called Bombora that does part of what you are asking. You give it a number of wav files and it plays them all together to your sound device (eg sound card DAC). It doesn't create ILDA files, though. Another thing I worked on creates constant frame rate ILDA files from constant point rate ILDA files. There are a few shows that come with the iShow software package (they are actually Pangolin shows) that were all out of sync with the music and I finally figured out the frame rate varied depending on the size of the frames. So, I had to create the special utility to convert them.

hey Gary can your bombora software play an avi(or any video format )in sync with the show ??