Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: WANTED WAV to ILDA CONVERTER.

How does it frame the results?
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    How does it frame the results?
    No idea but it so accurate, colors fades, frames etc.
    leading in trailing technology

Does it just chop up the wave as a set of frames that all have the same number of samples?
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

write out what you did as a procedure/ I used lcadat and was not happy with the result. I just don't know the optimization secret. I am now playing back via protools. like using a jackhammerto kil la fly.

There is no magic going on here. Although there are some things you can do to make things as good as possible.

Open the wave in Audacity. Select channels 1 and 2 together and normalize them to 0dB. Do not remove any DC offset.

Select channels 3, 4 and 5 individually and do the same normalization on each one.

You can resample the wave to anything less than 48KHz. You don't have to but you probably should. The total amount of data will be reduced significantly if you do.

Export that as a multichannel wave (6 channels) of signed 16 bit integers.

After that, the only thing a converter app is doing is reformatting the numbers.

Dare I say it? LaserBoy has been able to do this from the very first release,

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    There is no magic going on here. Although there are some things you can do to make things as good as possible.

Open the wave in Audacity. Select channels 1 and 2 together and normalize them to 0dB. Do not remove any DC offset.

Select channels 3, 4 and 5 individually and do the same normalization on each one.

You can resample the wave to anything less than 48KHz. You don't have to but you probably should. The total amount of data will be reduced significantly if you do.

Export that as a multichannel wave (6 channels) of signed 16 bit integers.

After that, the only thing a converter app is doing is reformatting the numbers.

Dare I say it? LaserBoy has been able to do this from the very first release,

James.
    I used LB back some time ago, I would get crashes and the processing time when it worked took forever. The results to me were sub-par. This interface in LSX makes it a snap. Can make live pre-pro adjustments with live feedback if needed before outputting to a timeline and it is done quickly. Full disclosure it was 7 years ago or so when I last tried it in LB, so perhaps your software has improved.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    write out what you did as a procedure/ I used lcadat and was not happy with the result. I just don't know the optimization secret. I am now playing back via protools. like using a jackhammerto kil la fly.
    If you were asking me, the settings just work out of the box on LSX. You can make minor adjustments if needed all with live feedback on screen frame samples.

Also why not just playback in foobar2000 or another simple audio player that supports ASIO?

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    I used LB back some time ago, I would get crashes and the processing time when it worked took forever. The results to me were sub-par. This interface in LSX makes it a snap. Can make live pre-pro adjustments with live feedback if needed before outputting to a timeline and it is done quickly. Full disclosure it was 7 years ago or so when I last tried it in LB, so perhaps your software has improved.
    When you import wave data into LB, it loads the whole thing into the RAM as a frame set. So having a lot of RAM is helpful. Your system won't need to use virtual RAM (temporary hard drive space) to hold it.

I have found a lot of bugs and fixed them in the past 7 years!

I'm not sure about "sub-par" results. Like I said, it's just converting a set of numerical values from one arrangement to another. There is no magic in that.

I should have said in my earlier post that you should use Audacity to group select the color channels, zoom in so you can see the samples and delete the first 5 samples (of a 48KHz wave). Then you can resample the wave to whatever you want. In LB, set the wave sample offsets to 0 for all channels and import the wave. That way your scanner and color signals will be properly time aligned regardless of the sample rate.

There is a value setting in the [Tab] menu to set the number of samples to put into each frame. If your wave was made from some king of analog console, you can look at it in Audacity to get an idea of the fundamental period of the wave. Figure out how many samples wide that is and use this number for your samples per frame value in LB. You can also just import into LB with the default setting, turn on show vector order in Z, and look at the side of the cube of space to see the wave in 3D. You can use the LB vertex cursors to mark the beginning of a full cycle and the end and LB will tell you how many samples that is. Use that number and re-import the wave.
    Last edited by james; 09-20-2019 at 07:00.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

um, Thanks Steve for paying the developer for his time to do that? That was not inexpensive.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-21-2019 at 12:20.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    um, Thanks Steve for paying the developer for his time to do that? That was not inexpensive.

So my 400$ for the development time, and a gazillion samples recodeded to ADAT off 8 Track FM on a field trip to Dayton was well spent? :-)

Steve
    If you paid for it he should not have included it for free to exisiting peeps. I would have a ton stuff more programmed if it is was only $400. The devs I work with are all $100~$250 an hour.